Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

+12
SozzledSally
Admin
Philllipa
hyatum
Guveclover
silansmum
ruby
hayleyvemehmet
Gamze
Glitzy
Barbarababe
Maria
16 posters

Do you have many Turkish things in your home?

Maria
    Maria

Do you have many Turkish things in your home? Empty Do you have many Turkish things in your home?

Post  Maria Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:12 pm

I never thought I would say this but I think I have a lot of turkishy things dotted about that's a real give away I have a real Turk in my life. It crept up slowly but looking around I can see what others see when they come round Shocked Have any of you for turkishy homes?

Maria
    Barbarababe
    Barbarababe

Do you have many Turkish things in your home? Empty Re: Do you have many Turkish things in your home?

Post  Barbarababe Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Hello Maria

What a marvellous topic you've raised. I have a selection of Turkish items in my home, many of them displayed in my drawing room and also in my entrance hall. I have some wonderful water colours and two oil paintings of various scenes in Turkey painted by local artists, everyone comments on them to me when visiting and one in particular attracts much attention and discussion, it's a most unusual painting of Antalya's coastline but when I purchased it out there the man selling it told me he didn't know where the artist had painted it so one of my friends and I have had many a discussion trying to work out where it could be, we're still none the wiser but it's a marvellous painting and I really cherish it.

I have a marvellous glass fruit bowl handpainted with pictures of fruit, it is very large and very heavy and takes up most of my coffee table but I don't want to keep it in any other room as I tend to entertain in the sitting room and I like it to be on display. I have lots of pretty cushions covers hand embroidered with golden thread and they glisten and shine in the sunlight that streams in the room. They are a work of art. I have a lovely teaset with little tulip shaped glasses, a Turkish teatray and Turkish teapot. I have about 8 mugs with various pictures of Turkey and I have some evil eyes and Turkish towels which I keep for best when my guests come to visit. I also have a marvellous bedspread and pillowcases with hand embroidered gold silk thread, it's a picture to behold but is rather itchy so I only use it to dress the bed and then I remove it at night when I retire.

I have to go now ladies, I am very sorry to stop midflow but I need to get back to work. I shall be back soon to finish my list off. I hope you're all having a marvellous time wherever you are.

Babs
    Glitzy
    Glitzy

Do you have many Turkish things in your home? Empty Re: Do you have many Turkish things in your home?

Post  Glitzy Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:00 am

I have an eye, a husband and half a dozen tea glasses. That's about it really Laughing
    Gamze
    Gamze

Post  Gamze Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:59 am

Hi Glitzy

I think a Turkish husband would be enough Turkish for any house Smile

I thought all I had was an eye, then I remembered the hand towels from the family and I have a lovely etched wall plaque that I bought the first time I ever went to Turkey, (Gumbet) I watched as the guy made it, so bought it.

hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:06 am

Well i have a husband too Smile tea glasses and that awful teapot that they all think is so wonderful :/ my pride of joy is a lovely tablecloth with all embroidery on it with shiny thread etc it really is too pretty to use and originaly i bought it as a gift and never gave it to the person lol.i have a cloth with boncuks in it for a patio table ( present from hubby ) i do like it.the usual eye hanging up.some towels that were wedding presents and a nice towel with bodrum stitched on lol ( needed it urgently for hair )i would like to have some other things but just dont have the room.ooo yeah i have a few bits of gold and yes they have a boncuk too Smile
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:19 am

My home in the Uk has very little Turkish memorabilia in it apart from a couple of tea towels and bath sheets, oh and of course Harry cat I do have free Turkish television with all the channels as some of the films are in English which is a bonus. Sometimes I put the Turkish TV on to watch the news, some of the things they show are truly horrible, they dont seem to mind showing deceased people, also occasionally watch the corny old Turkish films which are a hoot, what I do find disturbing is the way the men slap the women about, then to make everything appear politically correct they blank out anyone who is smoking, therefore smoking is not permitted but giving a woman a good old fashioned beating is ok. They are going crazy at the moment with their reklams on Ramazam, it must be horrible for the religious muslims to have to endure seeing all the food adverts showing the tables laid ready for them to end their fast.

My home in Marmaris is a cross between Turkish and British, i.e. I always take a caseload of British goods over, especially food items, but more specifically, I have taken a lead crystal vase and table lamp, also a lead crystal chandelier. Also took over a sandwich toaster (panini style), toaster, iron, as electrical items are so expensive. The major white goods in the house I like to purchase from Arcelik in Marmaris as they are excellent in quality, all the air co is Arcelik, washing machine and cooker. Just wish the white goods were as cheap in Turkey as they are in the UK. Also have a beautiful embroidered picture of Ataturk in the lounge.

Am on the look out for a car in Marmaris as I alway end up having to use my friend's car, but they are so very expensive, even an old banger can cost 4K. Turkey is great for fresh food, fruit, vegetables, but toiletries, electrical goods, white goods, petrol and cars are so expensive. Dont know how the average wage earner manages to afford a car and put petrol in it, never mind the way they drive them Very Happy

Ruby
    silansmum
    silansmum

Post  silansmum Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:24 am

My husband, erm ..... and a couple of boncuk-embellished ashtrays and 2 cay glasses, all bought by Fahri the last time we were on holiday, he was basically chucking the last of his lira about at Bodrum airport before we came home.

Elaine
    Guveclover
    Guveclover

Post  Guveclover Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:03 am

A Turkish husband, a half Turkish child and a Turkish flag fridge magnet here.

Oh, and not forgetting a ginormous satellite dish for the Turkish TV but that's outside so I don't know if it counts?
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:42 am

Ha ha Judith, the ginormous satellite dish for Turkish TV, mine is just the size of a normal Sky dish but it receives the Turkish channels from Germany so I cannot count that as Turkish lol!

Next time I go to Turkey though, I am going to take over some really really mature cheese, you know the type I mean that which is almost out of date lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Ruby
    hyatum
    hyatum

Post  hyatum Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:01 am

My Turkish partner Very Happy and I love Turkish carpets...I have a few. I also have collected and framed really old Anatolian ceramic tiles!

Oh, and I have a beautiful antique silver Ottoman ring..... and a zillion photographs and some great film footage....

No evil eye ..I don't have time for that one-eyed cyclops cyclops nonsense! affraid

Nicky
    Philllipa
    Philllipa

Post  Philllipa Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:46 am

I bet those old Anatolian tiles were costly, you lucky girl having them! Where did you find them?

Pipxoxo
    hyatum
    hyatum

Post  hyatum Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Philllipa wrote:I bet those old Anatolian tiles were costly, you lucky girl having them! Where did you find them?

Pipxoxo

Hi Pip

I found them in Cappadocia..I have always loved old art, especially if it's quirky. alien Some of the tiles are a little 'weathered' but I love them!

Nicky
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:46 am

Well I've got a caydanlik - which we never use. Ertie used to use it all the time, but he's now an English teabag drinker - has milk, too. I'm not a huge fan of tea - I drink coffee (Lavazza Espresso) I love my caffeine! But a nice cup of English tea on a hot summer's afternoon is always nice. Look, here I go again....drifting off topic!

We've also got two evil eyes, which just look pretty, really, and a few ornaments (glass ashtray, mugs etc) oh, and little Turkish tea set with the tulip glasses. Oh! We've also got a rug and a cherrywood backgammon set (I always forget if it's Havla or Tavla - I mix those words up!) it's really beautiful and everyone comments on it.

Oh, we've got some cushion covers, bed covers etc - but I don't use them much. Oh, I've also got a lovely deep red glass lantern - it's really pretty - and is still in its bubble wrap! Grrrrrrr........

Strawbs
    SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:00 pm

I've got some boncuks, a teaset, teatowels.............and a bellydancers costume Embarassed I had to buy it but I made out it was for somebody else lol! You have never got bedspreads Strawbs, you taking the pee? albino

Sal
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 am

With the Halloween festivities, trick and treaters not to mention all the fireworks, I thought I would resurrect this thread.

As most of you know my cat Harry is one of my most prized Turkish treasures and one thing I can say about him is that now that the dark nights are officially with us, when I am home he spends all his time in the house with me.

I bet he spends more time with me than some of the erm Turkish husbands knocking about these sites who appear to prefer company outside of the matrimonial home cyclops

Ruby
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:38 pm

true Ruby........theres more than a few women on the turkish forums who talk about hubby or the husband...but only see him when he comes in for a bath shave or sleep Wink ........thats no marriage.....thats a convenience.....
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:18 pm

Oh Ruby, so Harry hasn't done a runner, then?! tongue He knows where his bread is buttered! I'm sure he loves you really, though! Did you know that cats actually adopt YOU - you don't adopt them? It's true. They allow you to feed them and stroke them! cat

Ertie wants us to get another pet, preferably a puppy, but he likes kittens, too. So we might be having an addition to the family! I'm after a kitten, though my daughter insists I get a rescue cat, but I do love kittens.....

I would get another puppy (Ertie wants a Golden Retriever) but they are SUCH a responsibility - so we're still deciding scratch

Back to Turkish things in the house - I'd like one of those tweeting doorbells they have in Turkey. I love those. Do you know the ones I mean?

Strawbs
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Strawbs, I had to take the battery out of my doorbell in Marmaris, the tweeting was sooo irritating. The very first time I heard it I thought to myself wtf is that Very Happy

Ruby
    cazzy8
    cazzy8

Post  cazzy8 Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Have got some eyes, mugs, napkin holder, tea glasses, tealight holders and some bedding stuffed in the airing cupboard that MIL gave me that would take your skin off if you laid in it!! Bless!
    Pollypecker
    Pollypecker

Post  Pollypecker Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:02 am

Cazzy Turkish furniture and bedding is terrible Suspect they havent got any taste and must be color blind Shocked the blankets and settees in purple maroon mustard and green with giant orange flowers affraid very flashy and no good for you if you feeling sick! What a Face

Pol
    sharryparry
    sharryparry

Post  sharryparry Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I have two Turkish carpets given as wedding gifts and made by his grandmother. They are really beautiful and I love them. I also have a few hand embroidered towels again given as wedding gifts which I don't use and a glass lampshade the type made with lots of pieces of glass which is gorgeous. We also have the obligatory evil eyes one in the house and one on the shed!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:58 pm