Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

+5
Teenz
Admin
thinlizzy
hyatum
ruby
9 posters

Your Favourite Read of All Time

ruby
    ruby

Your Favourite Read of All Time Empty Your Favourite Read of All Time

Post  ruby Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 am

Thought I would start a thread about your favourite read.

About 14 years ago I went to Greece on a family holiday at the end of the season. It rained for about a week, so I went into the reception of the hotel to look for a book to read to read.

I found Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer, I could not put the book down, it was my favourite read of all time.

Has anyone else got a favourite book that they enjoyed reading?

Ruby
    hyatum
    hyatum

Your Favourite Read of All Time Empty Re: Your Favourite Read of All Time

Post  hyatum Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:32 pm

I have a few favourites! Very Happy

The first on the list I have read twice!!

I loved reading; Life of Pi by Yann Martell, Even Silence has an End by Ingrid Betancourt and the Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins

cheers
    Nicky

thinlizzy
    thinlizzy

Post  thinlizzy Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Mine was Born Free, when I hear the song I get goosebumps everytime xx
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:00 pm

hyatum wrote:I have a few favourites! Very Happy

The first on the list I have read twice!!

I loved reading; Life of Pi by Yann Martell, Even Silence has an End by Ingrid Betancourt and the Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins

cheers
    Nicky

Oh, so you're a lightweight reader I see. Laughing

Nicky, would you like to introduce yourself on the members introduction thread, please? Just to be friendly and all that. Smile

Strawbs
    Teenz
    Teenz

Post  Teenz Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:24 pm

The river god by Wilber Smith
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:48 pm

I've just started reading One Day by David Nicholl's and so far it's fabulous.......
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Hello Hyatum

Your choice of reading material appears to revolve around animal species with a common denominator towards monkeys.

I would highly recommend Charles Darwin's book Origin of Species, I did go to see the film and it bored the life out of me and totally tore the origins of religion to pieces so much so that Darwin's marriage almost broke up as his wife was a staunch Christian Sad

When my son was a young lad he had an intense interest in fossils, it appears you share that same interest Very Happy . As a treat I took him to visit the Natural History Museum in London, he was in his element, have you ever been there?.

When I moved house a couple of years ago he cleared my loft out and found his prized childhood collection of fossils, they comprised of two very heavy boxes of Trilobites, Crustaceans, Brachiopoda and Insects all carefully wrapped in newspaper. He now shares this interest with his own children.

Hope you enjoy my recommendation.

Ruby
    SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:28 pm

someones married to a fossil over the road hehehe
    hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi one of my favourite books was 'the hot zone' by richard preston .Its about the ebola zaire virus and although its not my usual read it was one of those i couldnt put down.Its a very scary virus that humans who had it bled from inside out eww.... but mainly monkeys carry it .I love non fiction and love reading Torey Hayden books.I also loved A thousand splendid suns and The kite runner by Khaled Hosseini..i could go on and on but i wont Smile
    hyatum
    hyatum

Post  hyatum Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi Ruby,

Thanks for the recommendation! Have now got myself a kindle, so will download 'Origin of Species' soon as I get to a fast connection! Last looked at it in uni days. Should be a compulsory must for all religious nutters who dispute evolution. Smile

Ha, ha , yes love wildlife, was an ecologist in my past life...so I geuss that explains it. Am interested in primates...but my real passion is elephants. I am priviledged to live in a wildlife area where I can indulge my interests.

Loved the Natural History Museum......am a total sucker for natural history and art museums.

Talking about books, I have a avery eclectic taste....anybody like the author Michael Ondaatjie? He wrote the 'English Patient', and 'Divisadero'...his new book titled 'Running in the Family' is really charming, if a little mad. I am terribly eccentric and tend to read three books at once. jocolor

Nicky

ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi Nicky

It is such a shame they changed the tear drop of India's name from Ceylon to Sri Lanka. It doesnt have quite the same connotation.

I really must get around to reading 'Running in the Family', a friend did mention this book to me and said its neither a memoir or a novel, now I usually enjoy memoirs or autobiographies, so this one is a must read for me especially as the author is a native of Ceylon.

How do you manage to read three books at once? Do you not get the plots and characters muddled up? You must tell me your secret.

Ruby
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Surprised you can't spell privilegedfor someone soooo well read lol
    SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:05 am

hyatum wrote:Hi Ruby,

Thanks for the recommendation! Have now got myself a kindle, so will download 'Origin of Species' soon as I get to a fast connection! Last looked at it in uni days. Should be a compulsory must for all religious nutters who dispute evolution. Smile

Ha, ha , yes love wildlife, was an ecologist in my past life...so I geuss that explains it. Am interested in primates...but my real passion is elephants. I am priviledged to live in a wildlife area where I can indulge my interests.

Loved the Natural History Museum......am a total sucker for natural history and art museums.

Talking about books, I have a avery eclectic taste....anybody like the author Michael Ondaatjie? He wrote the 'English Patient', and 'Divisadero'...his new book titled 'Running in the Family' is really charming, if a little mad. I am terribly eccentric and tend to read three books at once. jocolor

Nicky

HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo is FAB! Give it a once over nicky Very Happy
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:58 pm

hyatum wrote:Hi Ruby,

Nicky

Hi Hyatum,

What do you mean 'you were an ecologist in your past life'? Have you been reincarnated, then? Razz

Strawberry
    hyatum
    hyatum

Post  hyatum Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:24 am

Hi Strawbs,

Smile Ha, Reincarnated, conjures up all sorts of happy thoughts! I would come back as a green-eyed witch, and turn evil and nasty people into toads and turnips. No..'in my past life' is just local speak for 'former profession'. A kind of colloquialism. I now work in the creative media/arts field.

Hey Ruby, I i am not sure how I get to concentrate through a few books, because I have the concentration of a pea. I geuss I find it like eating different types of food, a little taste of everything, and some more chewy than others. I like to read one book that is 'reference-like' in subject matter....for example I am reading 'Drawing with the right side of the brain' by Betty Edwards, then I am wading through 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins, and then I skip at night time through 'Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools' by Victoria Twead! Try to keep the plots really different, otherwise I would have the mule painting a Darwinian fresco of spanish bull(@hit) Shocked

Hi Turkishheartdrop, my apologies, I do throw my d's around especially my DD...just joking. Can I please formally withDraw my D in privilege and place it in anoDDer worD. Laughing

Hi SS, Thanks for the advice about the book...I see it is based on a line of dialogue from 'Sex in the City'..should be very funny and poignant.

Cheers,

Nicky

ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 am

Hi Nicky

Hope you managed to read my posts to you on the Members Introduction Board.

I know what you mean about witches, especially you coming from South Africa you will know the true meaning of witchcraft and witch doctors. Durban is well know for its University, I remember it well, are you a former student?

Along the beautiful beachfront, do they still have those public swimming pools? I used them just once and had my clothes and shoes nicked by guess who Question But I would only be accused of being racist if I go into any more detail. The gorgeous beach in Durban is an absolute must for swimmers and surfers, but they do have a problem with sharks, not to mention your belongings getting nicked. I would sit on the beach and a half a dozen lads would come and say to me 'ma'am, will you watch our belongings for us please?'. These kids are very respectful indeed and fully aware of who they can trust.

It always amazed me how the white kids would walk around with no shoes on too Exclamation

Once you have experienced South Africa, only then will you know where I am coming from. I do recall Durban has a large jewish community.

I would have thought that you have read all the Wilbur Smith books, did you ever read Jock of the Bushveld or watch the film, that is an absolute must for all animals lovers, Jock the runt of the litter. Although, I do not possess your ability to read three books at once even if the plots were really different I would still manage to muddle them up, even poor old Jock Rolling Eyes

Jo'burg has the highest crime rate in the world and car highjacking is prevalent

How is Wintertime going in Durban Nicky?

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Schizophrenics are very adept at reading two or three books at the same time.........

Anyway, Nicky, what is you Turkish connection? Or are you just studying them for reference?

Strawbs
    Ladybird
    Ladybird

Post  Ladybird Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 am

How can you read two things at once
    Teenz
    Teenz

Post  Teenz Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 am

Funny eyes?
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:15 am

When you live in South Africa, it is normal to be in bed for 9pm and rise at 6am, and it is wintertime there at the moment, so no doubt Hyatum has time on her hands.

By the way, I remember one terrific electrical storm in Durban that blew the top of the hotel on the beachfront out for days affraid

Maybe she is powered the same way as Frankenstein and gains these special powers after being exposed to electrical fields.

Hyatum, do you remember the guy who was swimming and was swept up by a helicopter bucket and dumped on the fire and burnt to death? Terrible, really awful way to perish. Then again, South Africa is paradise in hell. Do you carry a gun to protect yourself and do you have bars at all your windows and a jailers door on your front door and an outside security team for protection around your property? Normal for white people to live in a paradise prison. What about the blacks who eat the soil and think its normal confused, really you have to live it to believe it and unless you have, you are fed what the media wants you to believe.

I am sure Hyatum you have heard the old saying in SA 'you can make it idiot proof, but you cannot make it Kxxxxr proof', even a cannonball is not safe if you know what I mean.

South Africa is beautiful, but I would never ever go back again.

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Did you see MYOB is now reading the book "Love In A Torn Land"? Typical reading material for a loved-up muppet. They always read love stories set in the East.... and I swear they think the book relates to THEIR great romance! They are soo predictable.

MYOB would be better off reading a book on "How To Relax". She bangs on and on and on and on about her bloody visa application (and no ECO is going to read 175 pages of inane, boring MSN conversations! affraid ) and no ECO is going to devote a whole bloody week ploughing through all her 7kg of boring, unnecessary letters/documents/photos....it's enough to make ME scream - so what would an ECO feel seeing all that?! She is trying far too hard - and it's starting to look suspicious and desperate.

Strawbs
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:25 pm

If those women only had the same eagerness to learn some self respect, it would do them much better. There's not much point in knowing about Turkey or the east when you've got no connections to it any more. Exclamation

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:40 am