Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

3 posters

What a Lovely Day

What a Lovely Day Empty What a Lovely Day

Post  Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:33 am

Gosh what a lovely day it has been today, the weather here has been wonderful. Went to visit my family and we had a barbeque and we sat in the garden and sipped a couple of Pimms cocktails. Then we watched the fabulous Men's Tennis Finals, fancy Novak Djokovic winning, and his first every Wimbledon title, well done I say. It goes without saying of course that I had a huge bowl of strawberries Very Happy and they were so sweet and juicy, English strawberries are at their very best right now Razz

Years ago, I used to work for the Lawn Tennis Association and have been to the Wimbledon Ladies Finals on Centre Court several times, in fact, one year, I attended the Wimbledon Ball on Park Lane, I will never forget the occasion it was like something out of this world being able to mingle with all the top tennis players. The men wore traditional black dinner suits and us ladies all wore ball gowns. The toastmaster made a speech in honour of the Queen and we all raised our glasses of Louis Roederer Cristal Champagne and sipped this delicious top of the range champagne.

Anyway, enough of my reminiscing, I see the board has been quiet, bet everyone has been out enjoying the sunshine, after all, in the UK we have to make the most of this wonderful weather, nothing worse than sitting indoors on such a fabulous day.

What has everyone else been doing over the weekend?

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

What a Lovely Day Empty Re: What a Lovely Day

Post  Admin Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Ruby,

Oh, you lucky thing being invited to the Wimbledon Ball! I love Park Lane and the hotels down there - they're soooo luxurious. Slightly off topic, but they're re-opened the Playboy down there - I went there quite a few times before they closed down - my sister was actually a Bunny Girl. My Dad was furious with her at the time - he wasn't a happy bunny at all! Haha! But I used to love going there - I thought it was the height of sophistication Razz and it was fascinating watching all those men gambling so much on the Roulette Wheel! I've got a story about that - but I'll do that on another thread. I'm so long-winded......... Shocked

Anyway, your day sounds fab and very similar to mine. We went over to my daughter's where they had a barbecue - that was lovely. It was very hot and muggy yesterday, though - and I always feel full quickly when the weather's like that. The best part of the day was having my grandchildren give me kisses and cuddles - they are so loving. And then we had to play hide and seek with them which they found hilarious - and then were ordered to watch them as they bounced up and down on the trampolene for what seemed AGES bounce Just watching them them run around makes me feel exhausted! We then had to play I-Spy with my granddaughter - and that was hilarious! So yes, it was a lovely, lovely perfect day. We did have the TV on, too, to see some of the Wimbledon, but with the children running around I never really got into it properly - and I spent most of the time in the garden, anyway. For some reason I didn't get that much into Wimbledon this year - I don't know why...

Driving home was a real nightmare though. We did a detour to drop someone off in WIMBLEDON of all places! Exclamation So the traffic was double the pain! Ugh! I HATE traffic!

Anyway, we had a wonderful time - so it was worth the traffic! sunny

Strawbs
    Maria
    Maria

Post  Maria Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 am

I was glued to the tele watching the tennis, wild horses wouldn't of dragged me away, I love tennis. I had some friends over watching it with me then afterwards we had a takeout and some drinks in the garden. Nice it was. sunny Ruby I would kill to go to the Wimbledon ball!!!!! Did you meet anyone famous there? drunken I never get to go anywhere exciting sob sob
    Strawbs fancy your sis being a bunny girl.........that was so glam in those days being a bg. I bet she's got a good figure...did she meet any famous people there? I wish I could of done something exciting like that......

Maria

Post  Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 am

Hi Maria

It was a fantastic experience, but I mainly mingled with the LTA staff, I did get to speak with David Lloyd, Tim Henman I had met a couple of times previously. LTA Head of Talent Management, Andrew Lewandowski was my boss at the time I worked for them. He has obviously moved up in the world now. He took over from Peter Brown, a well known tennis coach with children at the 'grass roots' level.

Hi Strawbs

Fancy you sister being a bunny girl, she must have a fantastic figure and be very attractive just like yourself. At least she is not a bunny boiler Very Happy

Ruby
    Guveclover
    Guveclover

Post  Guveclover Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:03 am

Yes we had a lovely weekend; one day spent down on the beach and another relaxing in the garden with great company and a lovely barbeque where we all had far too much to eat and drink!

Generally I don't like hot weather at all but the sort of heat we get here is not usually of the intense sort that you get abroad and it is lovely when you get a nice weekend that you weren't expecting like that. Hopefully it's cooling down a bit from now on. I love the variations we get in weather here. My husband remarked only tonight that he loves the climate here compared to Turkey and that he couldn't bear to go back to living there with the excessive heat they get for up to 7 months of the year.

As long as we get another nice few days during the school summer holidays so we can get out and about a bit in some good weather I'll be happy!

How lovely to have got to see some tennis on Centre Court Ruby - you are so lucky. I always say that one day I will go to Wimbeldon. I think it's our flagship sporting event and I'm always sad when it's finished for another year. Shame Nadal lost. He's my absolute favourite.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content