Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

+4
Glitzy
Guveclover
Admin
marymac
8 posters

Fethiye Info

marymac
    marymac

Fethiye Info  Empty Fethiye Info

Post  marymac Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:15 am

Hello all,
    I know some of you will have good knowledge of this area so looking to pick your brains. We are going here in August and looking for some recommendations on things to see and do/nice restaurants in the area as never been there before.
    Thanks.

Mary

Fethiye Info  Empty Re: Fethiye Info

Post  Guest Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:32 am

Hi Mary

Strawbs has a lot more knowledge on the Fethiye area than I do, I am sure when she comes online next she will be happy to give you some indepth information. Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi Mary,

Oh, Fethiye is one of my favourite places in Turkey, and I did live out there (on and off) for two years, so I know the area very well. Whereabout in Fethiye are you staying? Most people tend to stay in either Ovacik, Hisaronu or Oludeniz. They're all very close to each other, so it doesn't really matter where you stay out there, although I personally would avoid staying in the centre of Hisaronu as it can get very noisy at night. When I first went there I stayed in a hotel on the edge of Hisaronu called the Montana Pine Resort and it was beautiful - very peaceful, too.

Oh, before I continue, I hope you haven't booked Calis in Fethiye - that's not very nice at all! It's flat and built on swampland; quite scruffy with a grubby beach, and has lots of mosquitoes! The ONE and only good thing about Calis is you can see some beautiful sunsets from there. But you can also see beautiful sunsets from Fethiye Town, so if you're a sunset person Fethiye harbour is the place to go at night.

Arriving from the airport you'll drive through Calis and it can be very disappointing at first, as it looks all scruffy and tatty. Fethiye is a working town, so when you first see it you won't like it - but that end of it is the rough part - so don't start worrying when it comes into view. The other end of Fethiye where the harbour is - and where Karagozler is - is lovely. Once the bus takes you through Fethiye Town it turns up the mountain road and you first come to Ovacik (which is mainly residential with a few restaurants/hotels etc) and that road leads into Hisaronu which is a man-made resort. It's quite high up the mountain (so Ovacik and Hisaronu are a little cooler than down below - but August will still be baking - as you know) and Hisaronu is just a smallish resort full of shops/bars/restaurants etc. After going through Hisaronu the road then snakes down the mountainside to Oludeniz. The drive down is beautiful - there's purple and scarlett bouganvillia lining the road and the sight of the sea and Oludeniz below is stunning. It's very green there and very beautiful.

If you want to go on the beach you have to go to Oludeniz's main beach which is quite shingly, but is in a lovely setting, and you'll see all the paragliders coming down from there. I like the beach there, and the sea; and although it shelves quite deeply it's fresher to swim in than the water in the Blue Lagoon. But the Blue Lagoon is a must-see, and the beach is sandy there, too. It's just behind the main beach, and you'll find a dolmus to take you there. There's a few different beach areas in the Blue Lagoon, and people tend to find a favourite one and stick to that. Very often the manager or owner of the beach will pick you up for free from your hotel - so that's handy.

The restaurants are much of a muchness in the Blue Lagoon, but the Sugar Beach is probably the nicest. It's very laid back and is beautifully designed, and they claim their beach has the softest sand on the lagoon. We tended to use a small section of beach on the Lagoon that was free to use (no charge for sunbeds) but we did buy our drinks there and have lunch - which was always good. I've forgotten the name of the man who ran that beach, but it's the last one you come to after the dolmus drops you at the Lagoon and you walk through to the beach.

Beach-wise you can't beat Gemiler beach - it's even prettier than Oludeniz and as it's less well-known you often have the beach almost to yourselves, save for a few other people. In the afternoon a few boat-trips will stop and the people will come onto the beach for 10 minutes - but they all shoot off again. I really recommend that beach. You can get to it by boat (we hired a speedboat one day and got to it that way) but you can also drive to it through Kayakoy (where the Greek ghost town is) It's a lovely, scenic drive, and takes about 15/20 minutes from Ovacik. There's a couple of small restaurants on Gemiler beach which do beautiful fresh grilled fish, salad, chips etc, including wine, beer, soft drinks....It's right on the beaach and is a lovely place to have lunch. We ate there many times, and also took my daughter and family there, and never had a bad meal - it was always really fresh and beautifully cooked. I have read of some people complaining that they overcharge, but we never had that happen to us - but if you do decide to go there (which I thoroughly recommend) make sure you check the prices first and make sure they've got the final bill correct. But as I say, we were never overcharged.

If you're not scared of dangerous roads and sheer drops a trip up to Faralya is a must. It's just up the mountain road from Oludeniz and the views from there are stunning. It is very hot and still up there (very quiet, too) but there's a couple of little bars/restaurants up there with wooden huts in the trees that you can sleep in if you want to. The restaurant up there directly above Butterfly Valley is lovely, simply because the view is magnificent - and you can actually walk down the very steep path to the beach below (but that's quite a dangerous walk, and it would be murder climbing back up) I read that Kate Moss stayed at Faralya last week - at the Lazy Lizard Hotel - and as the name suggests it's a total chill-out place.

If you decide to take a boat trip, go to Fethiye Harbour and book one from there. There are a couple of boat trips that leave Oludeniz each day, and although they're OK, they can get packed and when you come back it can be really difficult getting off the boat. I don't know if it happens every day, but when we came back to Oludeniz after a boat trip the sea was really choppy, and everyone had terrible difficulty staying upright as they walked down the gangplank - it kept being thrown up high with each big wave - and even the boy holding the rope kept getting thrown up in the air. We managed to get off, but it was quite scary. Of course, the boat trips in Fethiye Harbour don't have that problem. You just walk straight off them onto the quayside. If you do book a boat trip make sure to ask if they have music on them. You may like really LOUD THUMPING rap - but I hate it - and was once trapped for about 7 hours on a boat that played rap NON-STOP! It was so awful I had to keep my iPod in my ears and have it on full pelt to drown out the rap. I prefer a boat trip where they either have no music at all or just soft gentle music in the background. But you will find a boat trip to your liking (there's loads to choose from along the harbour) and the price always includes a free lunch or barbecue - so they're good value. Oh, if you go on a Sunday take a boat that stops in Gocek - well worth seeing! The 12 Island trip is always popular too.

If you want some touristy nightlife Hisaronu is probably the place. It can get loud, and it's a bit 'Blackpoolish' but if you're in the mood for a laugh and a few drinks it's quite good fun. We used to go to a club called Time Out, and lots of people enjoy going there as it's quite entertaining watching people sing karaoke. We always seemed to finish our nights off there, and although it was cheesy, it was great fun watching the people sing. Some of them were awful! The best ones were those who thought they were good, and behaved like they were auditioning for a talent show. Of course, my singing voice is the worst in the world, so I never went up - but there were some people who were almost as bad as me - and they thought they were good! Oh, you have the usual barmen-flirts in there.....

Most of the restaurants in Hisaronu are much of a muchness, but we used to go to the Robin Hood and the Oasis - which were always very good. But I can't vouch for what they're like now. One to AVOID (if it's still there) is a fish restaurant slightly set back from the main road; if the same people are running it they are crooks. They tried to pass off shredded chiken breast as white crab meat - they even put it in the old shells of crabs and covered the chicken with white sauce. It was run by a Turkish woman who started cursing when I told her the crab was chicken!

The restaurants down in Oludeniz are again much of a muchness. Sadly, the White Dolphin is no longer there (that was exquisite) but they have relocated to a small island off Fethiye harbour, and if you ring them they will collect you in a boat. It's quite expensive - but as a treat - well worth the experience. They did lovely lobster, prawns etc....and I've heard the setting is even better now! The other restaurants we used to use in Oludeniz were the Secret Garden (just off the main road) and the Olive Tree.

The best restaurants are in Fethiye Town itself, although the ones along the harbourside are not as good as the ones in the town - but they're nice to just sit at and have a drink overlooking the harbour and boats. We used to go to Megri restaurant which was just at the start of Fethiye market. There are two Megris's - one inside the market and the one on the corner - the one on the corner is the best one for sure. It's opposite a Turkish bar where they smoke the hubby bubbly pipes, and if you keep walking down that side road where Megri's is you'll find two more proper Turkish restaurants which are excellent. The food is really, really good. Authentic and cooked beautifully. You don't get many tourists eating there (it's mainly Turks) but they do serve alcohol, and they're really reasonably priced. They're quite nicely decorated too - tablecloths etc - and one of them does hot Hoummous with hot melted butter as a starter - which sounds disgusting - but is terribly moorish! Embarassed

There's another restaurant going towards Calis (I'll have to ask Ertie the name of it - I've forgotten) which overlooks the sea and they do fantastic Turkish food too. Again it's very reasonable, and they also do that very fattening hot cheese dessert with syrup and shredded pastry. It's only Turks who eat there, but it's nicely set-out and comfortable.

In between Megri's and those other Turkish restaurants in that side street is a Turkish nightclub where all the locals go. I used to like it in there, although the singers really belt the songs out as LOUDLY as possible! But I used to like it as it reminded me of some of the Turkish and Arabic clubs they have in London where they all sit with bottles of Raki and Scotch on the table and have plates of nuts all over the place, and smoke like chimneys. There's a slight touch of menace and seediness to the place - it's all darkly lit and smoky - but the harlot side of me enjoys that.

Oh, I nearly forgot the fish market! You MUST go there. You choose your fish from the fishmongers in the centre of the market (sometimes the prawns are still moving....) and then you pick which restaurant you'd like to cook it for you. It's very reasonable - and absolutely delicious! We always sat at the restaurant in the corner (I'll have to ask Ertie the name of that, too!) but they cook the fish beautifully. The owner (Flirt) does beautiful beer-marinated calimari which melts in your mouth. He also does lovely stuffed mussels. Everything he does is nice, actually, even his salads with his 'vicked salad dressing' as he used to call it. We'd have meze or hot garlic king prawns to start; then beautifully fresh sea bass with salad and chips; a couple of bottles of Angora (I think that's the most palateable white wine they do) and we'd be there for hours! Lunch or dinner - it was always fantastic. Dinner is probably better as they they put lots of twinkly lights all on the trees, which gives it a lovely atmosphere with all the hustle and bustle too - and then we'd go over to the harbour to have a few more drinks where we'd sit at a bar covered with jasmine, which smells beautiful as you know...

For shopping it's better to go into Fethiye market rather than Oludeniz (Olu is dearer) although there's a couple of handbag shops in Hisaronu which do very good imitations.

Oh, it's worth taking the bus to Kalkan for the day (it's only about an hour and half away) but really is worth seeing. Patara is lovely too (very laid back) and the beach is gorgeous - huge and sandy. If you go on a jeep safari they'll take you to Patara beach, but they take you to the start of it (it runs for 17 miles) so you don't get to see the best part. You need to go to Patara itself (the bus goes there) and it will drop you off at the best part of the beach. It's a nice trip out if you're in the mood. Personally, I would hire a car for a couple of days and drive down to Kalkan and Patara. You've got freedom then. The coastal road between Kalkan and Kas is stunningly beautiful, so if you do decide on exploring I'd plump for that. Having said that, there's lots to see and do in Fethiye itself, so you may not have time to go outside of it.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know....

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Strawbs
    marymac
    marymac

Post  marymac Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi Strawbs,

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply. I appreciate it and I will have a good read over your advice on the area. We are staying in Fethiye itself. We are near the sea so probably the harbour end it says its a 10 min walk to Fethiye centre.
    Thanks for all the tips as its a new area for us and always good to get have an idea of the nicer places only going for the week as we are going to Italy in Sept so do not want to waste any time in rubbish places/trips/restaurants.

Mary
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Mary,

Oh, Fethiye covers a big area - it's like a borough - and Fethiye Town doesn't have that many hotels, although it does have a few. But they're not really holiday hotels as such. The Ece Saray is in Fethiye Town (more or less) but that's a harbourside hotel - it's not by the sea as in seaside. The Letoon is by the sea in Fethiye - that's a lovely hotel too. If you do discover you're in Calis you can easily hop on the dolmus and go down to Olu - so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter what!

I bet you're looking forward to going to Italy in September! Makes a change going to a different country doesn't it?! Whereabouts are you going in Italy? I LOVE Italy! We're off to Cuba this year...at first I wasn't that keen, but the more I've read about it the more excited I am! I can't wait to see Havana too.....

Strawbs
    marymac
    marymac

Post  marymac Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Strawbs,

We are most likely going to Venice or Rome for a short break just looking into booking it all now. I also love Italy and have been several times before so really looking forward to getting back there. As much as I love Turkey my husband and I are both into travelling so we will not let such things as the visa hassle stop us.

Hope you have a great time in Cuba, a work colleague of mine has recently been there and she raved about it she said it was one of the best places she had been.

Mary
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Mary,

Ooooh Venice will be SO romantic! I'm like you, I love travelling to different places, and luckily Ertie likes to explore too. As much as I think some parts of Turkey are beautiful, I just don't want to keep returning to the same place over and over again - it starts to become boring. And there's just too many other lovely places in the world to see - so it seems a pity not to broaden your horizons.

Also, although I sometimes enjoy Turkish food, it can be repetitive - and I'm not keen on their wine. Their Angora wine os OK, but it's not something I'd buy over here. Whereas with Italian dishes, and all the variety they have (and the delicious way they cook them) plus their lovely wines - I could eat and drink out there all year long and never get bored! I like the Italian accent too - and their music - and if I was single I'd definitely get a crush on an Italian man! Why are so many of them always so good-looking and oozing with sex appeal?! drunken

Actually, regarding the Schengen visa - they're really easy to get - and they're free, too if you're married. The great thing about them is that you can use them to go most anywhere in Europe for as long as they're valid. So even a short trip over to France or Amsterdam is nice, and it's just nice to know you can do it.

Funnily enough Cuba's never really appealed to me much before, but when I first met Ertie he said that was one of the places he'd always fancied going to, and after researching resorts/hotels etc it does look gorgeous! We've chosen an all-inclusive which has really excellent reviews, and ticks all our boxes. We're also taking a trip up to Havana - I think that will be fantastic. Really interesting! I don't suppose you know which hotel or resort your friend stayed in do you? I hope it's the same one we're going to!

Anyway, enjoy your holiday in Fethiye - I'm sure you'll love Oludeniz.....

Strawbs
    Guveclover
    Guveclover

Post  Guveclover Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:28 pm

It's always refreshing to read about an Anglo/Turkish couple who actually want to holiday somewhere other than Turkey.

My husband enjoys travelling to other countries and seeing what life and culture is like there. It's exciting, interesting and fun. Travel broadens the mind.

Some women who are married to Turkish men go absolutely nowhere other than Turkey - even those who are married to professionally qualified men of means - and I can't understand it. I appreciate that they have family there, and that some areas of Turkey are very nice, but there are other countries in the world besides Turkey! Some of them have spent years to-ing and fro-ing to Turkey in long distance realtionships and then they get their prized visas and you hear that about a month after arriving here they're going on holiday. To where? Turkey!!!

I hope you have a great holiday in Fethiye Mary - Strawbs has done you proud with all that info. I hope you have a lovely time in Italy too. I went to Venice once years ago and it really is breathtaking.

marymac
    marymac

Post  marymac Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I am sure we will have a great time nice just to get away from this awful weather.
    Next time I see that work colleague I will ask her the name of the hotel/resort in Cuba they stayed at.

Mary
    Glitzy
    Glitzy

Post  Glitzy Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Fethiye is lovely Mary - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I agree Judith going to Turkey all the time can become very tedious. We are lucky I suppose in that we have our own place there and after a very busy early summer it's lovely just to chill out on my terrace. But we do at least visit other countries; long weekends etc.... & when the girly is older we want to take off and drive through Europe & a couple of other big trips..

What I couldn't bear would be if my annual holiday consisted of either being hemmed in in some willage at the back of beyond or at the other extreme in a 'bar street' type environment.
    Guveclover
    Guveclover

Post  Guveclover Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Ah Glitzy but don't forget for some women it's an honour to be hemmed in in the willage for 3 weeks straight. It's an honour to sleep on a horse hair mat, an honour to go to the toilet in hole in the ground, an honour to eat all your meals sitting cross legged on the ground sticking your fork in the same bowls as 13 other people, an honour to sit like a cat watching a game of tennis while people speak Turkish/Kurdish around you and you understand nothing, an honour to be called some weird name that is not your own, an honour to have neighbours and relatives stare at you as if you were a being from another galaxy and an honour to kiss elderly realtives' hands - even if they do wave you away rudely and dismissively and make you feel confused and humiliated.

For others it's considered the absolute pinnicle to be able to jump on a plane with "hubby" and the brood of kids they probably had while "hubby" was still in Turkey, get a transfer bus to resort and then savour the moment walking down barstreet with him and the buggies and stand proudly beside him while he shows off to all the other slimeballs who have not yet managed to bag their visas. Again, cat watching a game of tennis rule applies while "hubby" fills said slimeballs in on all the vital info they need.

But for others, what they like best is to be over in Turkey "living the dream" with askim - waiting around all day while he works in the bar/restaurant that your or your mum and dad's money has bought him a share in. You can always while away the endless hours you spend alone waiting for him by logging on to TL and making all the others there green with envy when they read about the perfect life you have planned, or just dreaming...

Of course, the ultimate goal is six months in Turkey and six months in the UK and when you've achieved that you acieve legendary status. Very Happy
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:06 am

Glitzy wrote:Fethiye is lovely Mary - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I agree Judith going to Turkey all the time can become very tedious. We are lucky I suppose in that we have our own place there and after a very busy early summer it's lovely just to chill out on my terrace. But we do at least visit other countries; long weekends etc.... & when the girly is older we want to take off and drive through Europe & a couple of other big trips..

What I couldn't bear would be if my annual holiday consisted of either being hemmed in in some willage at the back of beyond or at the other extreme in a 'bar street' type environment.

Hey Glitzy,

Slightly off-topic, but just wondered how the Turkish couple are who run the Melody Bar? I used to love those two! We tended to go there more in the winter, and it always had a nice atmosphere in there. Do you remember that old Englishman, Eric? He was quite eccentric, spoke in a fairly posh voice, and was very LOUD! He was always smartly dressed and a bit of a snob (and a know-all) and last time I ever saw him or spoke to him was when I thrashed him at Backgammon and he flounced off in a huff. Haha! He got quite bitchy when he lost, and I think he may have been gay - though he did have an elderly English woman who he used to hang out with (forgotten her name....) I did hear he became very ill - so they said in the Melody Bar? I kind of liked him in a like/hate kind of way - he was always lively - and very sprightly too!

Does he ring a bell?

Strawbs
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Strawbs my brother went to Cuba in 2009 and he raved about it...he's going back next year with his wife for honeymoon....I will ask him where he was staying...he said it was the best holiday he had. I will speak to him later and ask him for more info. What hotel are you staying in...he stayed in a really luxury one but I forgotten the name Rolling Eyes
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi THD,

I've forgotten the name of it off the top of my head. But it is 5 star, and has fantastic reviews. It's situated on the beach - soft white sand/palm trees etc - and the food (do I ever NOT talk about food?!) anyway, as good food is important to me I always have to go somewhere where the food is excellent. This hotel, although All-Inclusive, serves full size lobsters, king prawns...steaks...everything. And they also serve genuine Champagne. They've got 24 hour room service, and when you're in the jacuzzi they bring along champagne in an ice bucket for you. The rooms are huge and beautifully decorated - flowers everywhere - it's got everything. and more...

Apparently, there's not much to see outside of the hotels in Cuba - there's not even many restaurants to go to - and local food is not very nice, either. You have to go to a good top star hotel for the food. But we will be going up to Havana and Santiago too, which I'm really looking forward to. I love all that Salsa music, dancing and carnival feeling - and people do say you should get to see Havana ASAP before it changes. It's a fascinating city and transports you to the 50s in many ways - the huge pink Cadillacs etc! lol But the atmosphere there is supposed to be terrific - and I'm sure Ertie will treat himself to a few boxes of cigars. I'm not sure how true it is, but a friend of mine once told me that the women in the factory often rolled the cigars with their thighs! I was never sure if he was telling the truth or not - he did like to tease - but we'll do a quick tour of a factory and see for ourselves.... Shocked

Strawbs
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Just thought I'd add this in case anyone else is thinking of going to Cuba....you never know....and you don't have any of that visa nonsense.

I pinched this from Trip Afviser:

"The antidote to homogenized culture, the Caribbean's largest city is one of charm and contradictions. The restored Spanish Colonial Habana Vieja contrasts with the faded grandeur and dilapidation in much of the rest of the city. Five centuries of architectural heritage, cobbled streets, palms swaying in a tropical breeze, and an all-round beguiling ambiance, all combine to make an irresistible destination. Don't miss verdant Vedado, a laid-back neighborhood of cultural institutions, restaurants and bars."

The architecture is fascinating too - Baroque, Colonial - I don't know why I never thought of going there before. Ertie's always fancied it, but I was never keen. I hope it lives up my expectations. Whatever - it will make somewhere different - and I like diffferent things. I have a low boredom threshold.

Where's whatsername? She can do a yawn for me. lol

Strawbs
    Glitzy
    Glitzy

Post  Glitzy Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:46 am

Hi Strawbs,

God it's ages since I last went to the Melody bar, good few years now. I do remember Eric. If I remember correctly the elderly lady (whose name escapes me but has lived in Fethiye for many years) had the bar just along that run there.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Glitzy,

Oh I don't remember that one....I remember a place that was run by some Irish women - but I can't even remember if it was a bar - old grey matter is going! We used to mainly go there in the winter - I don't think you get many tourists there from what I could tell? It always felt to me like the local hang-out place for Brits and Turks - the couple of restaurants there were always full of Turks too.

Did you hear about the Brit who was killed paragliding yesterday? Both he/she and the Turkish pilot were killed jumping off Babadag - I think the harness came away from the chute and they crashed into the mountain. Jesus. Nearly every year there seems to be one or two fatalities there - it's very off-putting. I remember being on the beach one day and seeing a lone paraglider crash land in the sea - quite far out he was too! Mind you, they sent a speedboat out to him within SECONDS - and luckly he was OK. I'm always amazed a paraglider hasn't landed on a sunbather's head! They come in so close to you sometimes! All part of the fun I suppose! I remember waklking indoors in Ovacik one day and suddenly saw a paraglider up above. Haha! Talk about off-course! He was heading towards Fethiye Town way - never heard what happened to him - so he was probably OK. Possibly landed in Migros car park or something in 'All Because The Lady Loves Milk Tray' style!

Strawbs

Glitzy
    Glitzy

Post  Glitzy Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:14 pm

God no I hadn't heard about the paraglider. I wouldn't consider doing anything even slightly risky there. I know people say health & safety goes too far here but it's non existent there. Do you remember the outcry about the people killed white water rafting a Dalaman... and nothing changed after it.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Glitzy,

Yes, Ertie read about the paraglider in the Turkish newspaper. It's terrible isn't it? I agree with you about the health and safety out in Turkey - it's appalling. And it sounds like this parachute was either faulty or worn - or hadn't been fastened properly. It's absolutely terrifying to think the pilot didn't realise there was a fault before they took off, but then we don't know the full story, and maybe it was just one of those horrific fluke accidents. I haven't noticed any mention of the accident in the British press, but I suspect that's to do with the Turkish Tourist authority. I remember a few similar fatalities out there in the past which weren't reported in the British press - despite the victims being British.

The water rafting tragedy was terrible - and that couldn't be kept out of the press. And I too have heard that they're still just as lax with their safety. I remember when Ertie and I hired a speedboat for the day - neither of us had ever driven a speedboat before - and all the guy did was show us where the spare tank of fuel was in the boat. Oh, and how to stop and start the boat. He never told us the basic rules of the sea (such as steering right or left with an oncoming boat) or what to do if we broke down - which we actually did towards the end of the day! affraid He showed us where the cool box thing was to keep our drinks, but when I asked him where they kept the lifejackets he looked shocked! He traipsed off to get a couple, but it was like it hadn't occured to him that we could have broken down and got stranded miles out - and would need lifejackets. We also had to ask him how to make contact if we broke down (we were planning on going right out - not just whissing up and down the beachfront) and he just gave us his mobile number - and that was only because we asked. As it happens we had a lovely day and went miles along the coastline stopping off at different beaches and coves etc, but there were times when we were a long way out and I'd have felt terribly scared without a lifejacket or means to make contact if we broke down in the middle of the sea. Ertie did all the driving, but when I had a go I was terrible! And I'm a good car driver. I don't know how it happened, but I nearly went into some swimmers - thank God I managed to avoid them in the nick of time - I think they were German - Germans often swim miles out to sea I've noticed. And their swear words sounded German too! Of course, I was banned from driving it after that (which I didn't mind, actually) and we did have a fabulous day - but an accident could so easily have happened.

Anyway, I hop they do tighten up their health and safety standards - it's not difficult to do - so I don't know why they don't....

Strawbs

Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:50 am

Mary did you do your trip to Fethiye? I'm off there for 10 nights in September so would be interested in your update....
    marymac
    marymac

Post  marymac Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:59 am

Hi, no not yet. Not going until end of August. So a few weeks more to go but its getting close I can feel the heat..
    Will let you know how we enjoy it there when I get back.

Mary
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Mary & THD,

When you go out to Fethiye there's a fantastic new restaurant (well, opened 2 years ago) that has rave reviews on Trip Adviser. I haven't been there myself, though will definitely make a point of going there next time I'm in Fethiye. The food sounds absolutely delicious (it's not expensive, either) and although it's situated in a back street, it sounds like it's really worth the effort of visiting it. They do all lovely Hatay dishes (no, I don't know what Hatay is, either Razz ) but it sounds gorgeous....they also do homemade lemonaid, huge beautiful kebabs and quite unusual dishes too...and their puddings sound really good! All different creations, some made with pistachios, rose syrup, creme custards, walnuts, and that hot cheese dessert I've forgotten the name of Exclamation

Maybe you could try it for us and let us know what you think? Some of the reviewers have eaten there almost every night - it's that good. And it comes in at Number One out of all the restaurants out there. Try and go there if you can - I definitely will do when I next go over there. Oh, it's a bit fiddly to find, but one of the reviewers explains exactly how to find it.

Anyway, hope you both have a brilliant time out there!

Strawbs
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Glitzy
    Glitzy

Post  Glitzy Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm

The food is excellent.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:26 am

Hi Glitzy,

Going by the reviews it looks like you need to book? I feel like flying over just to sample the place! Razz I've never seen so many rave reviews in such a short time for a place, the food sounds really special.

Strawbs

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 am