Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

3 posters

Dalaman Air Traffic Control Tower

Dalaman Air Traffic Control Tower Empty Dalaman Air Traffic Control Tower

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:18 am

I have been fortunate enough to visit Dalaman Air Traffic Control Tower and witness the flights land and take off, it was one of the most amazing days out I have ever had in Turkey. As mentioned in a previous thread, I have a very wealthy friend whose relative is a director of ülker and as the old saying goes in Turkey 'para var çare var' which basically translated means, you have money, you have no problem, so a visit which would be out of bounds to the general public was granted to me and my friend.

The interior of the tower I can only describe as being like Dr Who's tardis, the sheer responsibility that those people have is amazing. I saw Thomas Cook, Easy Jet and Onur land/take off. Of course, I was not allowed to take any photographs for security reasons, but the fact that I have been there and witnessed the control tower monitoring the flights where I land and take off from was exhilarating and a day I will never forget.

Ruby
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Dalaman Air Traffic Control Tower Empty Re: Dalaman Air Traffic Control Tower

Post  Turkishheartdrop Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:13 am

You lucky lady Ruby, I bet that was an experience and a half. I can't imagine how a plane looks coming in to land from the tower, it must seem different from that angle. I get a thrill watching all that machine take off and land, it's a sexy kind of thing IMO, specially the pilot WOW! I love you
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Ruby,

Oh I bet that was fabulous! I have been in a tower, but never in Turkey. I bet they get through their chai! Out of interest, you know when you take off from Dalaman and almost straight away you go over what looks like some kind of complex (LOADS of white square style houses built on a hillside) do you know where that actually is? I've often wondered that! It looks like a holiday complex, and I always wonder why they built it underneath the glidepath! lol

When I used to fly into Biggin Hill there was a woman who lived in a house across the road from the runway, and she seemed to like to complain on a Sunday for some reason! Haha! She'd take down the call sign of the plane and ring up Biggin to say I was flying too low and the noise was disturbing her. Of course I wasn't flying too low (she was just a serial complainer) and I wasn't the only pilot she used to complain about, either. But I could never understand why she bought a house at the end of a bloody runway! The airport was there LONG before her house was built! Suspect She used to LOVE moaning, and one Sunday afternoon I was doing touch-and-go's practicing my landing (I did six of them on this particular day) and she phoned up SIX times to complain - and even took photos insisting I was flying too low! Haha! I wasn't at all - and the tower told her I defintely wasn't flying too low - but she wouldn't have it! cyclops Oooooh, if she knew some of the descriptive words ATC used to say about her from the tower...........she did nothing but moan, moan, moan! She was totally bonkers.....it's like buying a house along a motorway and complaining about the traffic noise! If she'd have had her way she'd have closed the airport down! study

God, I do digress sometimes............ rabbit

Anyway, now I know you have access to Dalaman tower, that's another place I must come to with you! I bet some of those plane-spotters would give their eye-teeth for that experience - you are very privileged to have done that. I have seen it from the other side, and have been in the jump seat coming into Gatwick a few times - you wouldn't be able to do that now of course - but going up into Dalaman must be really interesting. Those ATC guys sure have their work cut out.........I couldn't do it.

Strawbs

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi Strawbs

Yes I know the complex of white houses you mention, apparently my friend tells me there is a waiting list for people waiting to purchase there. He has taken me all around that complex and there is also another area in Dalaman where only ex pats live, their villas are out of this world, but of course nothing like the villas in Gorcek.

Again, we can meet up and my friend will arrange with the air traffic controller for us to visit the tower together, you will be able to see it from a different perspective. How lucky you are have been in the jump seat landing at Gatwick, bet not many people would have experienced that.

Anyway, we can meet up perhaps in Fethiye and make our way to Gorcek, take in the private part of the marina which the riff raff are kept out of and have lunch (my friend will make sure the bill is taken care of as he is very wealthy and has friends in high places cheers ), and then drive to Dalaman Control Tower to watch the planes land and take off.

By the way, I know a wonderful restaurant in Dalaman where we can go for dinner and reminisce about our extraodinary day out.

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh, that sounds fantastic, Ruby! I'm looking forward to it already.

cheers

Gosh, that complex almost beneath the flight path......what are the properties like there? They must be fab if there's a waiting list! I have heard that Dalaman has some gorgeous properties.......

I bet they don't get the riff raff there!

Thinking about it, most of the riff raff turn LEFT when leaving Dalaman, while the better class of people turn RIGHT. You noticed that?

Arrow

Having said that, parts of Bodrum attracts the money too. And some parts of Cesme.....I bet the prices have jumped up out there this year.

Strawbs

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi Strawbs

I will drive you around Dalaman and you will see for yourself the amount of ex pat money which is sloshing around. When my wealthy friend first told me about it, I thought he was having me on, I mean, who would want to buy a property in Dalaman, but my eyes have been well and truly opened, the place is a goldmine. Marmaris is now full of scum who go all inclusive, drink draft Efes and eat the same left over food that is served up at every mealtime, then they beach themselves either besides the pool or on Long Beach. Thank goodness the Mayor is talking about getting rid of Bar Street from its current location and moving it next year to the back of beyond.

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Ruby,

Yes, I've heard that some of the properties in Dalaman are fabulous, so there must be some money sloshing about there!

So the Mayor is planning on moving Bar Street is he? I bet there'll be some sobbing numpties and crumblies walking around distressed when they hear that! Mind you, I suppose the turtles will still be crawling around the beach looking for a whale to pull. Easypeasy, eh?

Strawbs
    Maria
    Maria

Post  Maria Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:49 pm

The mayor wants to make Marm upmarket! scratch PMSL

Maria

Post  Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:49 am

Marm will never be in the same category as Gorcek which is a millionaires paradise (see I can get the spelling correct Mad )

At least the riff raff will be moved out of Bar Street and the Marina can then expand towards the back of the town and the castle. Thats about as upmarket as it gets Very Happy

Ruby

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:28 am