Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

YUMMY DESSERT!

Admin
    Admin

YUMMY DESSERT! Empty YUMMY DESSERT!

Post  Admin Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm

. .Yummy dessert!
    Author Comment
    lianne.turkishlove Yummy dessert! Lead [-]

Tuesday, 04-12-11 21:07
    Tags : None

I was just reading one of the old posts and Strawberry, you mention how to make Kadayfi...and now I am craving it like crazy! All that sugary, syrupy goodness...mmmm. My baby is kicking as I'm typing Smile
    Anyway, I'm living in Birmingham, does anyone know of any Turkish supermarkets nearby where I can get that stringy pastry?
    Please help, I am a pregnant women in need Wink
    x

Interact
    My Recent PostsMessage MeBlockingIgnore User's PostsReport Post Reply
    Deniz.turkishlove #1 [url] [-]

Tuesday, 04-12-11 21:20
    Haven't a clue where you would buy it from in Birmingham as i'm from London, but i'm sure once i came across an online Turkish market.
    You order the Turkish goodies your after and its delivered by post to you.I'll see if i can find it for you
    The Turkish cake i make alot is Revani ( Semolina cake)

Interact
    Deniz.turkishlove #2 [url] [-]

Tuesday, 04-12-11 21:24
    Found it
    http://www.turkishsupermarket.co.uk/

Interact
    Deniz.turkishlove #3 [url] [-]

Tuesday, 04-12-11 21:32
    Also found this

http://www.birminghamuk.com/turkishfood.html

Interact
    scarlett #4 [url] [-]

Wednesday, 04-13-11 07:26
    Hi Lianne,

Oh, it's awful isn't it?! When you're pregnant and get a craving you REALLY have to have it! And until you get it you can't think of anything else! I remember when I was pregnant I had a craving for Victoria Plums, and spent about a month eating as many as I could! They're not even my favourite fruit. But the upshot of that is everyone called my daughter Plum Pudding when she was a baby, and even now I sometimes write it in her birthday cards. So you never know, once your baby's born all the visitors may say "Where's our little Kadayfi?"

So is this your first baby? I bet you're ever so excited and can't wait until he or she arrives. Do you know whether you're having a boy or girl - or are you keeping it as a surprise?

Anyway, I hope you manage to get your Kadayfi fix!

Strawbs

Formally Known As Strawberryxxx
    Interact
    guveclover.turkishlove #5 [url] [-]

Wednesday, 04-13-11 11:35
    I'm not a fan of those traditional, teeth-achingly sweet, syrupy Turkish deserts myself but my husband loves the one you're referring to and occasionally has it. It always reminds me of Shredded Wheat so I wonder if you could maybe improvise with some home-made sugar syrup, Shredded Wheat and some crushed pistachio nuts? If you left it to soak for long enough you might achieve the desired effect.

Might be worth a try if you're desperate lol!!

I never experienced cravings during pregnancy myself but I know a lot of women do, and they simply have to be satisfied!

Judith

Interact
    lianne.turkishlove #6 [url] [-]

Wednesday, 04-13-11 19:33
    Thanks for the link Deniz, I might try ordering something from that website or else I will just have to get my husband to post me some Kadayfi!
    Strawbs I haven't really craved anything specific however in my second trimester I was craving dry cement and cigarette ash Smile I had anemia and apparently that is one of the symptoms. Don't worry I didn't give in Smile

Im having a girl and am so excited. Just can't decide on a name, perhaps you can help?

I am thinking of either Rosie or Olivia....any other ideas? Ella is quite popular amongst English women/Turkish men at the moment so I want to stay clear of that.

ps Gunglover I love the idea of improvising with Shredded Wheat! I'll just mix it in a bowl with lot's of syrup, add a dollop of cream and hope for the best Wink

Interact
    traceys16973 #7 [url] [-]

Wednesday, 04-13-11 20:02
    Hi Lianne

There are so many lovely names for baby girls, unless you have a favorite then it will be a task deciding one one!

theses are some of my faves

Lily
    Molly
    Savannah
    Betsy
    Rosie
    Milly
    Sophia
    Sadie
    Kitty
    Esme
    Eliza
    Holly
    Heidi

I could go on and on....... I chose Lily Rose for my daughter but ive always had Lily as my 'girl' name

Awwwww, not long now and you will have your little princess

Tracy x x x

Interact
    lianne.turkishlove #8 [url] [-]

Wednesday, 04-13-11 21:42
    Aww Tracy that's a lovely name! Lilly Rose...she looks like a little flower to. I really liked Lily but I can't keep it due to my cousin's husband's nickname being Lily. He is a HUGE guy, really mean and rude and quite known in the family. Nasty man. Anyway because of this idiot the name Lily reminds people of him and my mum won't allow it! Smile

Little Lily Rose looks adorable in her pics. I love the headbands, I have always thought they help make girls with less hair prettier. I'll definitely be using them x

Interact
    scarlett #9 [url] [-]

Wednesday, 04-13-11 21:44
    Hi Lianne,

Wow! Dry cement and cigarette ash?! Sounds delicious! I've heard of that, though - pregnant women craving all strange sorts of things - coal and soil spring to mind! Have you also become super-sensitive to smells? I remember when I was pregnant a smell of a certain aftershave used to make me feel sick - and I've hated it ever since - even though I loved it before.

There's so many lovely names for a girl, it's hard to choose, really, but these are some of the names I think are really lovely:

Sophia
    Isabella
    Luisa
    Maddelina
    Ava
    Scarlett
    Francesca
    Alicia
    Lydia
    Heidi
    Annabel
    Lila

I also think the name Rose is really pretty as a second name; such as Sophia Rose, Ava Rose.....I think they go lovely together.

Oh, you must be so excited! And it's lovely being pregnant isn't it? You feel all glowing inside......it's wonderful. And everyone treats you like china!

By the way, I hope you don't fancy the name Gunlover!

Strawbs

Interact
    ruby #10 [url] [-]

Saturday, 04-16-11 21:58
    Hi Lianne

The best dessert I have ever had in my whole life is a Turkish one, its got cheese inside a sort of shredded wheat base and it is dripping in a syrup, cannot think what it is called, but you can get it at all the traditional Turkish restaurants. I have a Turkish sim and put the name of the dessert onto my contact list so I can remember what its called when in Turkey and I feel the need to indulge, but dont have the sim here to find out what its called. I think its something like kulufie, I know it reminded me of the word coffee. Anyway, its my absolute favourite dessert and a good job I can only scoff it in Turkey otherwise I would be the size of a house.

Hope you get good news soon about your husband's settlement visa, did you manage to email? I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, it must be a very stressful time for you worrying about the visa and being pregnant. Let us know when you get the good news. Take care of yourself and your little one.

Ruby

Admin
    Admin

YUMMY DESSERT! Empty Re: YUMMY DESSERT!

Post  Admin Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:44 pm

sharryparry.turkishlove #11 [url] [-]

Saturday, 04-16-11 22:07

Ruby that's the one they are talking about Kadayfi it's lush I am not a desert lover really and normally prefer the main and cheese and biscuits but that desert, yes please love it! Perhaps it's the cheese!

Interact
    ruby #12 [url] [-]

Saturday, 04-16-11 22:30
    Hi Sharryparry

Thanks for pointing that out, I should have realised duh, ive got one of those heads on tonight.

Well I hope Lianne manages to conjure up that dessert. I absolutely love it too. A friend of mine recommended it after we had eaten a main meal at a traditional Turkish restaurant, I asked him to describe it and I thought that sounds vile, anyway he persuaded me to try it and we started off by sharing the dessert, as soon as I took a mouthfull I was hooked, he didnt get a look in, in fact, I made him order his own!!

Cannot wait for my next fix. I did see some in Tansas in the frozen section, but dont know how they compare.

Ruby

Interact
    lianne.turkishlove #13 [url] [-]

Sunday, 04-17-11 00:48
    Yes I know the dessert you mention, it is just gorgeous isn't it? When I was living in Istanbul I did indulge quite a bit but I was also very active. Our apartment was at the bottom of a hill and on the third floor...no lift Smile So I managed to keep the weight from creeping up. That is until pregnancy Smile But to be honest I am liking this fuller look as I have always been so slim it is a nice change to have boobs Wink

Still waiting for visa and baby. I really do hope we hear something before Friday when all the holidays begin...so annoying.

Lianne x

Interact
    lianne.turkishlove #14 [url] [-]

Sunday, 04-17-11 00:55
    Smile Ruby, the same thing happened to me with Kumpir. It looked vile, but when I ate some I was hooked and made my husband order another. My first 'experience' with Kadayfi...husband ordered some and I opted for the safer choice of cheescake but after a bite of his I made his swap with me Smile.

Interact
    scarlett #15 [url] [-]

Tuesday, 04-19-11 08:37
    Hi Lianne,

Did you manage to satisfy your craving?

Any news on the visa front?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Strawbs

Interact
    lianne.turkishlove #16 [url] [-]

Tuesday, 04-19-11 12:36
    Cravings went out the window as I was getting contractions! It was just a false alarm however, body trying to get me ready for the real thing...:S

Husband got his visa today Smile I am beyond happy. Hopefully baby stays put until he arrives. Thanks for all your well wishes and words of support girls!

Interact
    electradiva.turkishlove #17 [url] [-]

Tuesday, 04-19-11 16:13
    Oh what wonderful news - I'm really happy for you both and hope this will make the remaining days of your pregnancy as stress free and happy as possible. xx

Interact
    Barbarababe #18 [url] [-]

Saturday, 04-23-11 12:10
    Hello Lianne

I'm a little late in sending my congratulations but I want to wish them to you anyway.

Babs

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:26 pm