Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

+3
William909
Pollypecker
SozzledSally
7 posters

Ski help tips

SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Ski help tips Empty Ski help tips

Post  SozzledSally Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Read what you said about your ski hols Strawbs, think we will give it a go for the first time this year tongue Tips prices the lot, do one for me pls Smile or somebody else who can. Thank yous

Sal
    Pollypecker
    Pollypecker

Ski help tips Empty Re: Ski help tips

Post  Pollypecker Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm

She did one on here before I'm sure or it could of been the old chatters. If I find it I will bump it up tho it could well of been the old chatters. Do me best for you Wink where you thinking of going?

Pol
    William909
    William909

Post  William909 Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:54 am

I'm more than happy to help you Sally!! I'm a HUGE skiiing fan and get on those slopes at least once every year!! What would you like to know? There's a lot to learn but I'd love to teach you!! Don't be shy, just ask!!

Take care now Smile

Bill
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Sal,

I'm awake now so thought I may as well come on here. Exclamation

It's difficult to know where to start, really. Skiing is one of those sports people either love or hate; if you start when you're older you'll probably have less confidence and find it more difficult - that's something I've noticed in people. But there's always the exception. Skiing is a bit like riding a bike - once you've learnt how to do it you never forget - even if you haven't skied for a good few years.

As a beginner you need to choose a resort that's suitable for beginners, and you'll definitely need to join a ski school. You can have one-to-one practice, but schools are more fun and much more sociable. You won't move forward as quickly, but you'll learn the basics, which is all that matters at the beginning.

You need to remember that you will fall over (everyone falls over sometimes) so you need to keep your confidence, and get back up straight away. A bad fall can make you shaky and nervous, but you need to forget that and press on. Besides technique, confidence is probably the key in whether or not you enjoy it. You also need to be fit and in good shape, as some of the techniques take quite a lot of skill and are demanding, but you don't need to worry too much about that when you're starting out - as a beginner you just want to learn the basics. A good tip to remember is to always look ahead when you're skiing; beginners tend to look down at their skis and you shouldn't do that. Besides being dangerous it won't help you to ski. You need to look where you're going. The instructor will tell you all this, anyway. ALWAYS, always lean FORWARDS. Beginners have a tendency to lean backwards (probably due to nerves and because they feel they're speeding up) but all that will do is make you fall over, as your skis will push off in front of you and tip you backwards.

Comfortable boots are essential, so don't mind being fussy trying a few pairs on until you find ones that are comfortable - although they're never really comfortable like, say, footgloves! Haha! They are heavy, too, so walking in them is a bind (no pun) and it's always easier to keep them undone when you're walking along - otherwise you'll walk with bent knees - a bit like a robot. tongue

Your skis are important, too - make sure you hire ones with really sharp edges so you can stop quickly. Though you won't do many quick stops in the first week - maybe none. But it's good to have good-edge skis, anyway, just for control.

I find ski-suits (all in ones) are better than jackets and salopettes; if you do fall snow can get up inside your jacket and you'll get all wet. It's personal preference, really. They both usually have loads of pockets (jackets and suits) but one of my suits only has a couple of pockets, so I have one of those horrible bum-bag things that I tie round my waist - but it spoils the look if you're fashion conscious. Oh, you need lots of thermal vests and tights, too. And ski socks, of course. You wouldn't think you'd carry much with you skiing, but I always seem to fill my pockets up with loads of stuff: hipflask of brandy (essential), fags and a lighter for when or if you want a quick puff (tut tut), credit card, some cash, lipstick, phone, camera (though that can be dangerous if you fall) tissues, lipsyl, painkillers (paracetamol - you never know if you'll hurt yourself high up the mountain) and that's about it, really. I don't bother taking a small hairbrush - I just wear a hat - but some people pop one in their pocket or bag.

The lifts can be tricky the first time you use them. Button lifts (the ones you pull between your legs) are OK once you get going, but you need to keep your legs very stiff as it takes you off - and whatever you do don't try and sit on the button - you'll just fall off and the whole lift will stop - and everyone will look daggers at you. Smile Also, when the button gets to the top of the slope wait until you're on the flat before releasing it from between your legs - otherwise you'll fall off and slip backwards.

They have other lifts on some nursery slopes which are horrible - but luckily - they're rare and outdated now. They're like little bars which you pull out and put behind your bottom - they REALLY jerk as they start to take you up - and lots of people fall off those ones. The gondolas are easy - you just step in and sit in those (they move very slowly as you step in and out) and you just get and out walk out of them when you get to the top. The chairlifts are easy, too, but you need to get into position for when it comes round. As soon as you see it approaching you must sit on it quickly and then pull the safety bar down. They do have lift attendants who will do that for you if they know you're a beginner, but they usually leave you to do it yourself. Those ones are probably the most scary - especially if the lift stops for any reason, and you're left dangling up there for 5 or 10 minutes. It's best not to look down if that happens. Getting off those takes a bit of practice, but once you get the knack they're easy. As soon as you see you're reaching the top, pull the safety bar up with your poles in one hand, and slowly stand as it reaches the flat. The seat of the chair will sometimes shove you a bit behind your legs - and give you a little push. Make sure you're standing up (slightly forward with your skis parallel) and then just push youself forward with your poles and glide down the slope (the slope is always gentle and short - you won't go far)

It would be a good idea to have some lessons on a dry slope before you go, but it's quite different to skiing on snow - snow is so much faster - though easier to turn on. Really, the whole point of skiing is to enjoy it, and not to feel embarrassed about falling - you see people falling all the time - and no-one takes a blind bit of notice. The worst fall I had was after lunch one day when I probably had one too many jugs of Gluhwein (verboten!) and skied down a run I hadn't skied before. I was over-confident, and came across some really slow skiers, so overtook them on a bend and was heading straight for the edge (where the safety nets are to stop you falling down a big drop) and because I wasn't thinking clearly I panicked and turned instead of just quickly stopping -and skied straight into a a fence thing that was part of a ski lift. I can't remember much about it - it happened so quickly - but my skis went under the fence thing and propelled me backwards - a bit like a bow and arrow? I was the elastic part of the bow if that makes sense. Anyway, I ricocheted like a bullet straight onto my back, and that did shake me up I must admit. I remember a woman calling out, laughing (once she saw me get up OK) and asked me if I could do it again for her!! Haha!

Amazingly, I've never broken anything when skiing (wish I hadn't said that now) but my daughter broke her little finger when she was 13 - but that was when we went pre-holiday practice on a dry slope in Crystal Palace (I don't think it's there anymore - I think they closed it as boys used to break in and slide down it on dustbin lids or something - it was a very short slope, anyway)

If you do fall or have a really strenuous day skiing, the next day you can wake up feeling all stiff like a Zombie - and ask yourself just why you're putting yourself through this - and paying for the pleasure! But that's the bad things.....

The lovely things are skiing down the mountain in all that fresh crisp mountain air, the sun shining on the snow so it looks like twinkling diamonds, and you swish off through the pine trees - it really is magical -especially seeing the pretty village below all snow-covered and beautiful. The scenery is always breathtaking, and the feeling is amazing. It makes you feel rejuvenated in all that mountain air. And oh, how wonderful it is to to get back to your hotel - pull those heavy boots off - then go for a sauna, shower, and massage! Heaven! Then you can go for a swim if you want (some hotels have both indoor and outdoor pools) and the indoor ones always have huge glass patio windows, so you can see all the mountains and snow as you're in the pool. Oh, before I forget, the drinking water is absolutely beautiful! Crystal clear - and usually straight from the mountain (so I understand). Their milk is lovely, too.

The apres ski is really magical. They have all the usual Tyrolean nights with lots of thigh-slapping dancing and music (great fun!) - but that's more Austria and Switzerland. But it's SUCH fun, and one of the dancers will always pull you up and make you dance with him - so be prepared for that. There's flame-lit sledging, sleigh-rides through the forest - they're my favourite! The horse and sleigh has little red lanterns on the side of it, and bells, and you go through the forest with a blanket to keep you warm - it's VERY romatic. Oh, and at night the stars are so bright and clear in the sky - and seem so LOW - you feel like you could reach up and pluck one out of the sky - that's how close they seem. When you go on a sleigh ride they take you to an Inn in the midle of the forest, where you have lots of really good food to eat (loads of spit-roasted baby pork, veal in breadcrumbs, goulash, barbecued sausages filled with Swiss cheese and wrapped in bacon, potato salad, pickled cabbage etc, black forest gateaux) and of course, lots of German beer, Gluhwein and Jagertee (hot rum) and mugs of creamy hot chocolate topped with fluffy cream and chunks of melting Swiss chocolate. They're also very big on fondues, too (cheese and meat ones) and lots of beautiful, fresh cream cakes.

It all sounds very fattening, but you never gain a POUND skiing - I never have - and I eat like a horse! Mind you, I usually skip lunch, or just have a very small one (some chips or a frankfurter, maybe goulash soup) as I can't ski on a full stomach. Most people tend to have a hearty breakfast - and they always serve all the usual ceraals, real muesli, yogurts, different cheeses, meats, eggs, bread rolls, hot pastries filled with apricots (my favourite) and they really go in for things like nuts, seeds etc - which are really tasty to sprinkle over your yogurt. Some hotels do Bucks Fizz, too. That's a sweetener for the people who feel all stiff and wonder why they've paid to bash themselves up, and get bollocked by their ski instructor. Some of those instructors can be REALLY bossy, and Austrians tend to be very punctual - so if you turn up 10 minutes late - he'll probably pick on you for a bit. One instructor I had moooon ago was so bloody rude (I swear he was related to Hitler) just becasue I was a bit late he ORDERED me to do a really dificult sidelip down a really steep slope 'to show the class'. I was SO angry with him, that I was determined to do it perfectly (even though it was seriously steep) and that soon wiped the sneer of his chops! Funnily enough, we became really friendly towards the end of the week, but it could have been disatrous.

Most instructots are really nice, actually (though they always PUSH) and you'll always, always have a girl in the group who gets a crush on him. Doesn't matter if he looks like Quasimodo - someone will develop a crush on him. And they're the ones who always excel! So just shows how a lot of skiing is down to determination and confidence.

Anyway, I guarantee to you to you that you will love it - nearly everyone does. Ertie and I have booked ours for just after Christmas, so we're really looking forward to it. The only drawback is that we won't be in the same classes, but we'll meet up at lunchtime and spend the last afternoon skiing together. If you're going with someone who can already ski (even if they're only intermediates) and they try and make out they're a beginner so they can stay with you in your class, the instructor will know STRAIGHT AWAY - and sling them out into another class. So whoever you're going with be aware of that. Anyway, it's difficult to ski together when you're at different levels - so it's no hardship skiing in different classes and meeting up for lunch. The day goes very quickly when you're skiing.

If you do decide to go, don't book more than a week (unless you're doing Christmas and New Year) One week is long enough for a skiing holiday - few people go for longer than a week - except real enthusiasts or adrenaline junkies. A week really is long enough - believe me! You'll come back home with really firm thighs, too!

Hope that's helped.

Strawbs
    Philllipa
    Philllipa

Post  Philllipa Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Strawbs I enjoyed that so much you know flower you write lovely you know that?

Pipxoxo
    Maria
    Maria

Post  Maria Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:15 pm

You done Sal proud Strawbs Like a Star @ heaven how do you write like that? you are wasted on here, I mean that in a nice way and that but you have a right old talent going on there, you could get paid for what you write specially your funny crack up ones, does it just come straight out your head or do you think what to write? scratch

Maria
    Richard
    Richard

Post  Richard Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Hey, that was some post! You are a writer. I ski too, have done since my early 20s and became hooked completely! I've improved with age, well I would say that haha! What level are you at if I can ask? You sound like you've skied a fair while.

I'm possibly going to France this year for a skiing trip (long weekend) and to take photographs. Have you ever done heli-skiing or off piste? I'm in need of some practice too, so may take myself down for some quite soon. I'm in Kent but I travel to Esher when I practice. Where do you practice when you go? There aren't that many to choose from, there's a few good ones up north though. Have you tried any of those at all?

Richard
    SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:59 am

Strawbs I could kiss you! Wait till I show the other half tongue I want to go there now, it sounds like heaven. You did good girl, can you just do few more things for me, prices, costs, resorts and all the biz, it will be Austia for us also reading this I love you Might ski into you lol!

Sal
    Richard
    Richard

Post  Richard Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 pm

Hey Sal, Austria is a beautiful country and great place to ski. There's some great resorts out there for beginners, when are you thinking of heading out there? If you tell me where you're thinking of heading I can guide you too.

Just tell me what you need to know, that's what these sites are for!

Richard

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 am