Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

+7
Richard
Boreks
Philllipa
Maria
Admin
Turkishheartdrop
SozzledSally
11 posters

Best places in Turkey

SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Best places in Turkey Empty Best places in Turkey

Post  SozzledSally Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Could we do a list of best places to go to in Turkey? I know its been done ages ago but I cant find it.

Sal
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Best places in Turkey Empty Re: Best places in Turkey

Post  Turkishheartdrop Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 am

Pizz off sunshine......you're about as sexy as a girl!
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Sal,

It really depends on a person's taste; some people love Turkey and some people hate it. As with every country, there's good parts and bad parts, but for what it's worth I'll tell you my favourite places out there. I have been to lots of the major resorts, including places off the beaten track when we went travelling in Turkey. Some of the places I've been to are Istanbul, Kusadasi, Altinkum, Akbuk, Bodrum, Marmaris, Icmeler, Gocek, Fethiye (including Fethiye Town, Uzumlu, Ovacik, Hisaronu, Oludeniz, Faralya, Kayakoy etc)...Patara, Kalkan, Kas, Antalya and a few other smaller resorts I can't remember the names of....plus of course small villages, and larger towns such as Soke etc. When we travelled by car along the coastline we stopped at some beautiful bays and tiny little seaside resorts which aren't on the tourist map. We also visited lots of ruins (ampitheatres etc) and the usual touristy places such as Saklikent Gorge, and passed through where St Nicholas was born.

I actually think the coastline and the coastal road is one of Turkey's best features. Some of the scenery is so dramatic and beautiful, though some of the coastal roads are really hazardous. The drive through on the mountain road between Antalya and Fethiye is lovely in the winter - you have all the snow on the mountains as you pass by - and that's beautiful on a crisp, cold sunny day.

Resort-wise there's a lot of similarities - in as much as food, drink, music, shops, patter are all the same. The one resort I really hated was Altinkum - it was dirty, scruffy, ugly - absolutely horrible. And it was flat and unscenic. In fact, it didn't even feel Turkish to me. Ertie told me that his family, and everyone else he knew in Soke would always travel up to Kusadasi (or occasionally Bodrum) rather than go to Altinkum on a Sunday - that's how horrible it is. Strangely enough, it's actually got quite a nice, sandy beach (which is rare for the Eastern Med/Aegean) but it's such a god-awful place! It even feels horrible.

Of course, Marmaris is Marmaris - it's Blackpool - and the beach is vile. Icmeler is just as touristy and tacky - aleit quieter, smaller and less loud - but I have to say that we did enjoy our trip there. We took it for what it was, and embraced its tackiness if that makes sense. I've heard that there's areas outside of the main resort which are much nicer, but as far as Marmaris and Icmeler goes I wouldn't return there again. We only went the once just to see what it was like, but that was because we were living in Turkey, so it was no big deal to go up there for a long weekend.

I suppose my faveourite places are Fethiye (but that was home to me for two years, so I'm kind of biased) although I never liked Calis. The one good thing about Calis is its sunsets - and that's about it! I loved the harbour at Karagozla in Fethiye Town (that's incredibly beautiful) and I also loved Gemiler Beach in Fethiye. The drive down to Oludeniz from Hisaronu is lovely, too, and the drive down from Kayakoy to Fethiye Town is really stunning. Oludeniz is beautiful (scenery-wise) but it's becoming spoilt now with shops/bars etc.

I liked Kalkan - I thought it was really pretty (though very hilly) but the beach is a bit of a let-down. Although the scenery made up for that. I also really liked Patara - the beach there is lovely and sandy, and I swear I could smell Frangipanis when we walked towards the beach, though I couln't see any Frangipani trees... There's not much to do there, but it has a lovely feel to it. Kas is lovely, too. We went there several times, and I loved the little alley-ways where we found a couple of lovely jazz-type bars (all dark, red and cosy) and hippy-type places. I'm sure there must have been hippies go there years and years ago - parts of it has a real hippy feel to it. The harbour is lovely (of course) though it doesn't really have a beach (except a tiny piece which we wound) One of the hotels we stayed at there was fantastic - our room led directly out on to the roof swimming pool and bar - so that was great! We used to go straight out of our bedroom verandah-type doors and straight into the pool - and at night- time we'd sit outside at the bar late at night having drinks, and maybe a midnight snack, and then stroll back into our room through the verandah doors!

I liked Antalya, too, actually. But that was mainly down to the beach, good quality hotels, castle, and good shopping centre. It felt much more modern than the west coast of Turkey, to my mind.

I suppose Fethiye, Gocek, Kas and Kalkan are my favourites - oh, and Patara. Bodrum is nice, too.

To be honest, I think a cruise around the coastline - stopping off for a couple of days at your favourite resorts - would be the best way to do Turkey. Either that, or driving the coastal road and stopping off. But that could be very tiring, and quite frightening on some roads. You'd also need longer than a couple of weeks (whether cruising or driving) if you wanted to do it at leisure and without rushing.

I'm glad I've seen all those places in Turkey, though there's a few places I never got round to seeing, which I may do one day; but for now I've had my fill of Turkey (and North Cyprus) and there's so many other places in the world to see........obviously, we'll still have to go to Turkey because of Ertie's business and family home etc - and we keep toying with the idea of investing out there - but we're holidaying in different countries now. We've done most of Turkey. Having said that, we are considering investing in a property in the Fethiye area (but we've been thinking about that for years and keep changing our minds!) although now the ski resort near Fethiye is rumoured to be opening - that'll be a definite pull. But we'll have to wait and see......

Strawbs
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:19 am

Sometimes Strawbs I dunno...I never know if I should laugh or send you a cyber rose.....thats another complaint I've got ...no roses on here! put some up will ya! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
    When you said We took it for what it was, and embraced its tackiness did you mean that lol! your so funny sometimes but I dunno if you mean to be lol!
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Haha, THD!

You're not the first person whose complained to me about the fact there are no cyber roses on here! This is the nearest to a rose, I guess flower You could always use that! I'll try and download some roses - especially for you. Smile

Actually, regarding my comment about Marmaris; yes, I did mean it when I said we 'embraced its tackiness'!lol I'm of the mindset that you should 'make the best of a bad situation' - and as far as Marmaris was concerned - the best way to get through it was to go with the flow. You can't change a place, so you'll only make yourself feel more miserable by dwelling on how awful it is; so we just looked around for the nicest looking restaurants we could find, and the best bars out of a bad bunch. And then we just sat drinking and people watching - there was nothing much else to do, really.

Besides, sometimes egg and chips are really tasty! You wouldn't want to eat them every day, but once in a while is quite nice. tongue I suppose Marmaris would be your 'egg & chip' mood......

Strawbs

SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks Strawbs for that-you are really detailed I love your descriptions of everything-Iwould of thanked you before but been so into whats been going on other threads! Shocked I will get the sack keep looking in, cant help it tho. Any other info on travel from anyone?

Sal
    Maria
    Maria

Post  Maria Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:49 am

Strawbs whats the nicest out of Kalkan and Kas? Patara looks a bit dead to me and a bit scruffy when I checked silent I fancy going to a different resort next year for a change Wink

Maria
    Philllipa
    Philllipa

Post  Philllipa Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:42 pm

You get lots of Irish go to Kus, dunno why but I know you do, have they got Irish pubs there?

Pipxoxo
    Boreks
    Boreks

Post  Boreks Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:23 pm

I can show best places only you will see Wink Wink

kisses xxx
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:41 am

Whats Alanya like Boreks............
    Maria
    Maria

Post  Maria Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Maria wrote:Strawbs whats the nicest out of Kalkan and Kas? Patara looks a bit dead to me and a bit scruffy when I checked silent I fancy going to a different resort next year for a change Wink

Maria

Just bumping up Smile
    Richard
    Richard

Post  Richard Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 am

Hey guys, if you'd like my recommendation it would have to be Fethiye. My former girlfriend (Turkish) lives in Fethiye which is where we met in 2006. I guess some people would say I was biased but I have to say that Fethiye is one beautiful place. I never travelled out the area except to Dalyan and Saklikant but for me Fethiye has it all - and more. It's also got my ex, haha! But hey, I've moved way on and now I'm single and free.

If there's anything you'd like to know about Fethiye you can ask me anytime, that's what I'm here for! Don't be shy, fire away.

Ricahrd
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:30 am

Blimey Richard, you have a lot in common with Strawbs Laughing

Strawbs is very knowledgeable about the Fethiye region, although she does not have an ex girlfriend in that area Surprised

So what are your favourite places in that area and what restaurants come into your top ten list?

Ruby
    Richard
    Richard

Post  Richard Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi there Ruby, I have my favourite places in Fethiye, it's a large area. Olu Deniz and the Blue Lagoon are awesome and the harbour in Fethiye is top knotch, you ought to go there and try it, I bet you'll love it if you love Marmaris. I've never been to Marmaris but I hear Fethiye is more beautiful and more peaceful.

I love all the restaurants out there, too many to choose from, lucky me haha! Any by the waterfront are good and some in the side streets do top cuisine. Do you like Turkish cuisine? I think it's the best!

Richard
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 am

Hiya Richard

Actually, I have been to Fethiye and Olu Deniz and have to agree with you that the Blue Lagoon is truly spectacular although walking through the Lagoon I found that the sand was rather course as the photographs are rather misleading as the sand looks so very white and my little piggies hurt by the time I reached my favourite spot on the Lagoon, however, the walk was well worth it and the sea temperature was like bath water.

Marmaris has some really breathtaking scenery depending on your take on it. Some of the outstandingly beautiful areas in my opinion are around the Marina, the surrounding mountains, the views over the sea from the top of the castle. The breathtaking scenery that makes me sick is seeing an older European woman with a young Turk/Kurd, Marmaris and Icmeler seem to attract the trash of European women and unfortunately, a lot of Turkish/Kurdish men tar ALL European women with the same brush. Also, the cost of goods and eating out in Marmaris and Icmeler is so much cheaper than in Fethiye and Olu Deniz as obviously the latter resorts are rated as more upmarket. Fortunately, from experience I know the places to avoid in Marmaris, for example I would never set foot in Bar Street and the Mayor has mentioned that he may move Bar Street from the rear of the Marina to a more secluded area in Marmaris. This would be an enormous improvement as the Marina is so lovely and elegant. Long Beach is tacky, I sometimes go and sunbathe there, but not very often as I detest the false slimeballs who try to entice you onto there patch on the beach. When I do use Long Beach I always use the same restaurant where they know me and I know them thus avoiding any hassle. We are all territorial and there is a beautiful pool I use in Marmaris which is quiet and surrounded by palm trees. Icmeler is very pretty too, when I use the beach I usually pay extra and use the Marti beach as you can walk into the sea without rocks and stones spearing into your feet.

To be honest Richard, its nice to try out as many of the resorts as possible, that way you get a true feeling of just how different each resort is and although they offer similar food, they all differ in their own little ways.

I do like Turkish food, although, I love most types of food Very Happy My absolute favourite Turkish dessert is Hatay Künefe (the dessert originates from Hatay). In Icmeler (on the local dolmus route) there is a Kebab shop with a poster advertising Hatay Künefe and its the best Künefe I have ever eaten and I have to admit that I went there often during my recent visit just to eat Künefe - it was very naughty of me, but hey, I cannot get it here in the UK. I did buy a pack of it in Tansas for 10 TL, took it home and put it in the microwave but it was absolutely vile, never again.

Well Ive gone on and on, so Richard you say you think Turkish cuisine is the best, what is your favourite dish?

Ruby
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:24 pm

I never saw this of yours Ruby........I liked reading that.....youve made me hungry for kunefe now!....
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:46 am

Hiya THD

Yes I love Kunufe, do you know what, I had forgotten about this post, I went into all that detail and Richard has still not replied to what his favourite Turkish dish is sunny maybe he is too shy to admit it is Brain Soup.

Ruby

Maria
    Maria

Post  Maria Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:25 am

You got a sweet tooth Rubes? thats half sweet tongue 1 mil cals a tsp!lol

Maria
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Maria

I dont usually go for sweet foods but I cave in when it comes to Crunchie Bars and Kunufe Smile

Good job I cannot get Kunufe where I live otherwise I would get fat pig pig and one Crunchie Bar a week will not hurt, its when you eat 10+ Mars Bars a day that you know you have got an eating problem pig

Ruby
    SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Admin wrote:Hi Sal,

It really depends on a person's taste; some people love Turkey and some people hate it. As with every country, there's good parts and bad parts, but for what it's worth I'll tell you my favourite places out there. I have been to lots of the major resorts, including places off the beaten track when we went travelling in Turkey. Some of the places I've been to are Istanbul, Kusadasi, Altinkum, Akbuk, Bodrum, Marmaris, Icmeler, Gocek, Fethiye (including Fethiye Town, Uzumlu, Ovacik, Hisaronu, Oludeniz, Faralya, Kayakoy etc)...Patara, Kalkan, Kas, Antalya and a few other smaller resorts I can't remember the names of....plus of course small villages, and larger towns such as Soke etc. When we travelled by car along the coastline we stopped at some beautiful bays and tiny little seaside resorts which aren't on the tourist map. We also visited lots of ruins (ampitheatres etc) and the usual touristy places such as Saklikent Gorge, and passed through where St Nicholas was born.

I actually think the coastline and the coastal road is one of Turkey's best features. Some of the scenery is so dramatic and beautiful, though some of the coastal roads are really hazardous. The drive through on the mountain road between Antalya and Fethiye is lovely in the winter - you have all the snow on the mountains as you pass by - and that's beautiful on a crisp, cold sunny day.

Resort-wise there's a lot of similarities - in as much as food, drink, music, shops, patter are all the same. The one resort I really hated was Altinkum - it was dirty, scruffy, ugly - absolutely horrible. And it was flat and unscenic. In fact, it didn't even feel Turkish to me. Ertie told me that his family, and everyone else he knew in Soke would always travel up to Kusadasi (or occasionally Bodrum) rather than go to Altinkum on a Sunday - that's how horrible it is. Strangely enough, it's actually got quite a nice, sandy beach (which is rare for the Eastern Med/Aegean) but it's such a god-awful place! It even feels horrible.

Of course, Marmaris is Marmaris - it's Blackpool - and the beach is vile. Icmeler is just as touristy and tacky - aleit quieter, smaller and less loud - but I have to say that we did enjoy our trip there. We took it for what it was, and embraced its tackiness if that makes sense. I've heard that there's areas outside of the main resort which are much nicer, but as far as Marmaris and Icmeler goes I wouldn't return there again. We only went the once just to see what it was like, but that was because we were living in Turkey, so it was no big deal to go up there for a long weekend.

I suppose my faveourite places are Fethiye (but that was home to me for two years, so I'm kind of biased) although I never liked Calis. The one good thing about Calis is its sunsets - and that's about it! I loved the harbour at Karagozla in Fethiye Town (that's incredibly beautiful) and I also loved Gemiler Beach in Fethiye. The drive down to Oludeniz from Hisaronu is lovely, too, and the drive down from Kayakoy to Fethiye Town is really stunning. Oludeniz is beautiful (scenery-wise) but it's becoming spoilt now with shops/bars etc.

I liked Kalkan - I thought it was really pretty (though very hilly) but the beach is a bit of a let-down. Although the scenery made up for that. I also really liked Patara - the beach there is lovely and sandy, and I swear I could smell Frangipanis when we walked towards the beach, though I couln't see any Frangipani trees... There's not much to do there, but it has a lovely feel to it. Kas is lovely, too. We went there several times, and I loved the little alley-ways where we found a couple of lovely jazz-type bars (all dark, red and cosy) and hippy-type places. I'm sure there must have been hippies go there years and years ago - parts of it has a real hippy feel to it. The harbour is lovely (of course) though it doesn't really have a beach (except a tiny piece which we wound) One of the hotels we stayed at there was fantastic - our room led directly out on to the roof swimming pool and bar - so that was great! We used to go straight out of our bedroom verandah-type doors and straight into the pool - and at night- time we'd sit outside at the bar late at night having drinks, and maybe a midnight snack, and then stroll back into our room through the verandah doors!

I liked Antalya, too, actually. But that was mainly down to the beach, good quality hotels, castle, and good shopping centre. It felt much more modern than the west coast of Turkey, to my mind.

I suppose Fethiye, Gocek, Kas and Kalkan are my favourites - oh, and Patara. Bodrum is nice, too.

To be honest, I think a cruise around the coastline - stopping off for a couple of days at your favourite resorts - would be the best way to do Turkey. Either that, or driving the coastal road and stopping off. But that could be very tiring, and quite frightening on some roads. You'd also need longer than a couple of weeks (whether cruising or driving) if you wanted to do it at leisure and without rushing.

I'm glad I've seen all those places in Turkey, though there's a few places I never got round to seeing, which I may do one day; but for now I've had my fill of Turkey (and North Cyprus) and there's so many other places in the world to see........obviously, we'll still have to go to Turkey because of Ertie's business and family home etc - and we keep toying with the idea of investing out there - but we're holidaying in different countries now. We've done most of Turkey. Having said that, we are considering investing in a property in the Fethiye area (but we've been thinking about that for years and keep changing our minds!) although now the ski resort near Fethiye is rumoured to be opening - that'll be a definite pull. But we'll have to wait and see......

Strawbs

Strawbs is that you in Fethiye in your avatar pic? I cant remember if you said it was Suspect

Sal x
    Richard
    Richard

Post  Richard Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:08 am

Hey Sal, that doesn't look like Fethiye to me, but what would I know haha!

I hope all you girls are having a great Halloween tonight!

Richard
    DennyK
    DennyK

Post  DennyK Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Did you have a good one?
    honey
    honey

Post  honey Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:05 am

I've done the biggys, marmaris icmeler kus and gumbet but not been further along. Has it got a different feel in the other resorts? That's to all those who have been there of cause! lol x
    SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:01 pm

The Med side is warmer and more relaxed Honey Very Happy

Sal x
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi Honey,

I think the resorts do all have a different feel to them, despite the fact they all serve the same food and drink, play the same music, sell the same goods etc.

For the better weather you need to go to Antalya where it tends to be milder in the winter than it does on the west coast. If you really want warm sunshine, then North Cyprus is a good place to go to in the winter. I've been there about half a dozen times - a couple of times in November and December - and the weather was very pleasant and warm. MUCH warmer and drier than Turkey.

Strawbs

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 am