Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

3 posters

MRI Scan Procedure?

ruby
    ruby

MRI Scan Procedure? Empty MRI Scan Procedure?

Post  ruby Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:56 pm

I have been referred for an MRI Scan. Has anyone ever undergone this procedure, and if so, what does it entail and what was your experience?

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

MRI Scan Procedure? Empty Re: MRI Scan Procedure?

Post  Admin Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 am

Hi Ruby,

I've had 3 MRI scans in the past. The first time I went in one I felt very claustrophobic, but they hand you a button which you can press at any time, and they'll let you out immediately. They just press a control and you slide out straight away. You can hear them talking to you (giving you instructions) while you're inside it, and you also have to wear earplugs as it's quite noisy - a bit like rapid gunfire when they're taking the images - but it's not too loud. Oh, you also have to remove all your jewellery (magnets and all that! bom )

In all honesty the first time I went in one I did feel claustrophobic and pressed the button almost straight away! It didn't go down well with the woman doctor - she was a moody thing...lol I think she was used to patients pressing the button all the time, and she must have been fed up with it! clown But when I went back I knew what to expect and so just kept my eyes closed - and that really did the trick! As soon as you lay on the sliding table thing you must close your eyes BEFORE it slides you in - otherwise you can feel very enclosed - as it is basically like a tube. Thinking about it a very fat person wouldn't fit into one, so I don't know what they do if they need an MRI....I never thought of that before...

I can promise you you'll be OK just as long as you keep your eyes closed as soon as you lay on the table. Oh, and make sure your earplugs are placed firmly inside your ears. When are you having it done?

Strawbs
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Strawbs

I am 'supposed' to be having it done next week. Thanks for all the reassurance, the eyes closed tip I will definitely use. My problem is I should not have looked on YouTube before the procedure as this has put me off.

I did speak with the Consultant's secretary and she has said that there is an open MRI scanner in Birmingham if I would prefer to travel there. I understand that they have had to purchase an open MRI due to the large amount of obese patients who have to undergo MRI's. Well being a size 8 that does not apply to me, so at least I would have plenty of space.

Thanks for your advice and tips, I will let you know how I get on.

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi Ruby,

Honestly, ss long as you keep your eyes closed you'll be fine.

It's mindboggling to think they've had to build a special MRI machine to accommodate giant fatties - those lardbuckets need to get a grip and stop shovelling cream buns down their gobs.

Strawbs
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Ruby, don't be nervous...Strawbs is right it's not that bad and the best advice is to keep your eyes shut, agree wholeheartedly. Good luck for when you have it done, I hope it all turns out okay for you.

I love you
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks for your kind messages of support. I love you

Ruby

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:03 am