Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

4 posters

Abnormal results

hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Abnormal results Empty Abnormal results

Post  hayleyvemehmet Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:40 am

Well girls this is possibly a very personal topic but its one i need some advice on and i know its an open forum for the world to see but its nothing to be embarrased about..... I recently went for a routine cervical smear test and today received my results showing i have a borderline result.i have been sent a leaflet with it explaining it all and a note saying i have to be rescreened in 6 months.Now i know its easy to say its not that bad at this moment in time blah blah but its made me feel quite worried and i just wondered if any of you have had a similar or same thing? I am happy that i have been fully informed about the whole process etc but i always feel its nice to hear other peoples real experiences.I have only told my hubby at this time as its not worth worrying the rest of the family over something that can be sorted easily if the next results show anything,although its possible it wont and no treatment would be needed. xx
    Admin
    Admin

Abnormal results Empty Re: Abnormal results

Post  Admin Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:30 am

Hi Hayley,

Don't feel embarrassed about this - it's very, very common for women to have an abnormal smear test result. If the hospital have advised you to wait 6 months before your next smear test, this suggests to me that your condition is very mild, and very often the next smear test can prove negative: that's why they advise you to wait 6 months until the next one. In some cases a smear test can show positive when there are no pre-cancerous cells there at all. Also, what you need to remmeber is that a smear test picks up pre-cancerous cells, so whatever the outcome of your next one, you really have nothing to worry about. Although, of course, I can understand you feeling worried - that's only natural.

When you have your next smear it could show negative (which often happens) but if it does show mild changes they can treat them very easily at this stage. I know of lots of women who have had positive smear test results (some of them showing CIN 3? which I believe are severe changes) and even then it is easily treated. What's so good about smear testing is that it picks up pre-cancerous cells, so try not to concern yourself with the thought it could be serious at this stage. If there were any severe changes they would have shown up in the results, and they would have been testing you again within a couple of weeks (they wouldn't leave it 6 months) so it sounds very much like they're so mild that they want to wait to see if your next test comes back negative, which can often happen.

If the next one does still show slight changes they will probably send you for a colposcopy and then either do laser treatment to destroy the cells, or sometimes they use other methods which are equally effective. Either way, at this stage you have absolutely nothing to worry about - I can assure you of that.

I can understand you feeling worried and concerned, that's totally natural, but I can promise you that you have nothing to worry about. Thousands of women go through this every year, and smear tests are designed to catch any changes before they develop into cancer; which in itself can take years to develop. You really have nothing to fear, so try not to worry yourself over it - I know it's easy for me to say that - but what I'm telling you is true. I'm sure other women on here have experienced, or know of women who have experienced the same, and I guarantee they will say the same to you.

Please try not to worry if you can....you're going to be perfectly OK.

Strawbs

marymac
    marymac

Post  marymac Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:56 am

Hi Hayley,

As Strawbs has said this is perfectly normal and she has explained everything exactly as it will happen. If they had any concerns they would have brought you back sooner than the 6 months so please try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know but this is very common and lots of women go through the same thing.

Mary
    hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:55 am

Thanks girls Smile feel totally happy today as like you and the leaflet says it can be sorted if need be.i just feel happy that i always go to these appointments as its better to be safe than sorry.xx
    Gamze
    Gamze

Post  Gamze Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:10 am

Hi Hayley

Good that you feel ok about it now. I have had several borderline smears my first one about 10yrs ago I had to go for a

colposcopy, then regular smears was 6 mths then on to 12 mths and just as they decided I could go to 3yrs I had another

boarderline, so off for the clinic again but it turned out not to be bad enough for the colposcopy,the good thing is its

treatable if caught early enough.

So try not to worry about it, easy to say I know but you will be fine!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 am