Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

5 posters

Göçek Marina

Göçek Marina Empty Göçek Marina

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:02 am

I have often visited Görçek when in Turkey. It is situated between Dalaman and Fethiye, just after the tunnel for those of you who have been to Fethiye. Anyway you pay 3TL to go through the tunnel and its the turn just on the right, a very very elite upmarket resort, the likes of Kamil Koç have their yatch moored in the private marina. I have a very well heeled Turkish friend whose family member is a Director of ülker, needless to say he has privileges that many of us mere tourists would be denied. He has access to the whole of the private Marina in Görçek and has taken me there on a few occasions as a special treat. The Koç's yatch is the one with the single funnel, so stunningly beautiful and of course the security is very tight. My friend tells me that Mrs Koç and Queen Elizabeth were both educated together and that the Queen sometimes holidays on the yatch in Görçek (fancy the Queen being a Turk Lover Very Happy ).

The toilets situated near the upmarket Marina restaurant knock spots off Harrods. Up until recently, Ataturk's yatch was sometimes moored in Görçek and my friend tells me that the stair case is made of pure gold, he has been on his yatch a few times, but it is now unfortunately moored somewhere else under the control of the Turkish Navy, so I have missed that opportunity to visit it Crying or Very sad

Only Turkish millionaires can afford to buy on the Marina, and the likes of İsmail YK and Tarkan both have properties in Görçek.

Well I thought it would be nice to share this information with you, it is a million miles away from the seedy tourist resorts and well worth a visit. If you have a day to spare and you are in the Mugla region, consider going there I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed. Needless to say, it can be expensive to eat in the restaurants there, but then, what the heck, you are entitled to spoil yourself when on holiday.

Ruby
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Göçek Marina Empty Re: Göçek Marina

Post  Turkishheartdrop Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:01 am

Ruby that is what's called living, just my cup of tea. You don't see the fat tattood brigade there do you..... Smile
    Truth giver
    Truth giver

Post  Truth giver Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:35 am

Lovely place but it was called Gocek when i was there Cool

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 am

Oh Hi Truth Giver, Do you know what, I believe that you are correct and thank you for sharing that with us. I stand corrected and me being so clever and superior too Razz

By the way, I love your Avatar picture, its Gunner Harris isnt it? Old Leather Face from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, wonder why you chose that as your Avatar picture?, would it be something to do with the fact that it is the nearest picture that reflects your identity, or has the hot climate in Turkey made your face turn to a leathery texture?

Whilst we are at it, and as you are so learned about Turkey, please translate the Turkish blog I posted on here for your fat numpty friends Laughing

Ruby cherry santa rendeer

choochoo
    choochoo

Post  choochoo Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 am

Gocek is lovely, and I suppose could be seen as upmarket depending on where you are used to going in Turkey. Like everywhere in Turkey , the best places are off the beaten track. Nobody but tourists really eat at the marina.

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:08 am

Hello Choochoo

There is the public marina, but where I went was the private marina where only the yatch owners who have their yatchs moored have access to, so I was very lucky to be allowed to visit there and see how the rich and famous live. Its a very different Turkey to the resorts and I highly recommend it to anyone who gets the chance to visit, even if its the public area, its still very beautiful, it actually reminded me a little bit of downtown Disney in Florida.

Ruby
    choochoo
    choochoo

Post  choochoo Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 am

Hi Ruby

Sounds like you've rubbed shoulders with Turkey's elite then! Very nice. I'm not a lover of the resorts myself, although the Fethiye region is always a draw during the end of season. I love Istanbul and the Trabzon area mostly.
    choochoo
    choochoo

Post  choochoo Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 am

I just remembered you can get a taxi boat to Gocek in Fethiye harbour for around £2 - very good value 45 min boat trip! Very Happy
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Ruby,

Oh, I think Gocek's lovely, too. When we lived in Fethiye we popped there quite a few times (just for the day) and I thought it was gorgeous. We've gone there by car, bus and boat - and arriving by boat is the best! Seeing the harbour and yachts come into view against that beautiful backdrop is gorgeous. I remember going there one sunny winter's day for lunch, and we found a lovely restaurant on the harbour (I love my views! Razz ) where we sat inside right next to the log fire - it was one of those they have in the centre of the room. We had a fantastic fish meal there, it was really excellent. We actually met a Turkish guy there one summer who had his yacht moored there, and he invited us to to visit him some time in London - he's got a chain of restaurants over here - but we never got round to it. I've still got his card and details somewhere - so I might remind Ertie and we can look him up. I doubt he'll remember us, though! lol Yes, they're definitely monied people out there....

Oh, did you notice that restaurant off the harbourside called the Kebab Hospital?! Razz I thought that was a great name! We didn't eat in there, but was told the food was excellent. But Gocek's definitely no Marmaris is it?! lol It attracts a certain clientele......and the Bar Street Whales would not be appreciated there...

Choochoo (welcome to the site, by the way!) I wouldn't say Gocek was off the beaten track at all - it's very well known, and easily accessible. They even have boat trips there, especially on a Sunday when the market goes there. I would say Gocek is much more upmarket than most of the other places I've been to in Turkey (and I've been to LOADS of places in Turkey) but Turkey itself is not really an 'upmarket place' as such - is it? But then it depends how well-travelled you are and what you're comparing Turkey to. Where in Turkey would you call 'upmarket'?

You're correct when you say tourists eat at the marina - cos that's where most of the restaurants are - and it's a tourist resort...lol And people with a penny or two like to eat in a prime location - much better than a back street. Having said that, the Turkish guy we met there (the one who had his yacht moored there) also owned a property there - and he ate with us on the marina. I don't think there are that many restaurants in the town are there? It's not very big there. It seemed to be mainly set around the marina from what I could tell?

That price for a water taxi from Fethiye to Gocek seems cheap! We went there by boat on one occasion, but that was with friends, so we didn't have to pay. But we did take water taxis a few times to Calis, and although I can't remember how much it cost, I'm surprised it's just £2 to go all the way to Gocek. That really is good value isn't it?! Every time we took a water taxi we always seemed to end up drinking Raki on the trip - even just to Calis! I used to enjoy having a drink in a taxi!

Ruby, next time you go to Gocek I'm coming with you! It's sooo relaxing there..............

Strawbs

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Hello Strawbs

What a lovely day it is today, what is the weather like where you are?

As I have said to you before, you are more than welcome to accompany me on the private marina which my 'contact' as he will arrange everything for us and we will be treated like royalty, but then, we are they type of clientele that very obviously blend in very well with the wealthy, rich and famous. Very Happy Not at all like the type of riff raff that frequent the resorts of Marmaris. Those fat whales flashing their tattoos would not be welcomed in a quality area as GORCEK Laughing

I am working on my friend to get me a viewing on the Koc's yatch (obviously when they are holidaying elsewhere), so if we are both in Fethiye at the same time, we can arrange to meet up and spoil ourselves for a day or two.

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Morning Ruby! Smile

Oh, well the weather on Sunday and yesterday was REALLY hot! Not a cloud in the sky - it was lovely. But today it looks hazy (though it seems as if the sun's trying to break through) It's awfully humid, though, so I wouldn't mind a storm breaking! bom

Oooh, I'd love to visit the private marina in Gocek - it sounds fabulous! We'll have to arrange something for the future......

Strawbs

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Yes, its started to go a little overcast here now, although still humid. Its strange how the heat affects some people, one wonders how they get on when they are in Turkey. I drives me mad in the UK when at the first sign of warm weather people start moaning 'oh its too hot'. Stupid people. Then again some people get overheated and they are relieved when a storm breaks out. I love storms, I find them so challenging lol!

Ruby
    Truth giver
    Truth giver

Post  Truth giver Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:34 am

Sorry Ruby clever and superior to who? you have lost me there, i am stumped as to who you are referring to.

Whilst we are at it, and as you are so learned about Turkey, please translate the Turkish blog I posted on here for your fat numpty friends

I think you will find that post makes no sense whatsoever, the grammar is atrocious.

Post  Guest Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:59 am

Hi Leatherface AKA Gunner Harris

First of all thank you for your apology, I accept it.

I guessed my comment of me being so clever and superior (which I am) would have been lost and 'stumped' to yourself due to the fact that I was referring this comment to YOU.

Furthermore, the reference also applies to your incredibly thick and stupid fat friends who all don their ZOMBIE AVATARS and get their chainsaws at the ready in an attempt to slay. pirat Now I will have to explain in simple terms on the 'You fall like coddled bourgeois!' thread the meaning of the title and the comment 'That smells disgusting like my fourth wife. She pretty though, pretty and smelly, weird combo'. NOW PAY ATTENTION AND REMEMBER THE WORD ZOMBIE IN THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THIS PARAGRAPH affraid

With regards to the Turkish blog contained in the above mentioned post, as in your opinion it makes no sense as the grammar is atrocious, I now challange YOU to translate it. Come on Gunner, translate it, you obviously know what is says, so now you have opened your big gob and have made a statement on the atrocious grammar, dont appear to be an 'all mouth and no action troll' and translate it, or are you going to fall like coddled bourgeois? lol!

Ruby

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 pm

choochoo wrote:Gocek is lovely, and I suppose could be seen as upmarket depending on where you are used to going in Turkey. Like everywhere in Turkey , the best places are off the beaten track. Nobody but tourists really eat at the marina.

Hi Choochoo,

I'm still curious to know what place you consider to be upmarket in Turkey? Very Happy

Strawberry
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Truth giver wrote:Sorry Ruby clever and superior to who? you have lost me there, i am stumped as to who you are referring to.

Whilst we are at it, and as you are so learned about Turkey, please translate the Turkish blog I posted on here for your fat numpty friends

I think you will find that post makes no sense whatsoever, the grammar is atrocious.

Hi Truth giver,

You're hilarious! I suggest you go back and read the first sentence you wrote in the above post. How you have the nerve to criticise someone's grammar when you can't even punctuate is laughable!

Strawberry
    Maria
    Maria

Post  Maria Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:36 pm

I have not had the fortune of going to Gocek but I know someone who does go there and he says it's like the south of France it's that upmarket and classy and he goes all over the world. Some parts of Belek and Bodrum can be classy but Cesme isn't classy, did someone say it was? it's just nice and mainly Turks go there but it's not upmarket , it's pricy though. I think Gocek is the tops for being upmarket followed by Belek and the posh part of Bodrum.

Maria

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm