Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives


    A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Share

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 2722
    Reputation : 695
    Join date : 2011-04-24

    A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Admin on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:20 am

    I happened to come across a post written on Trip Advisor, in reply to a person asking for tips/advice for their first trip. Describing the first moment you see Venice, they wrote:






    As you exit the train station, go down the stairs, pause, inhale deeply and take in the incredible vista before you. The first moment you see Venice will never be forgotten. It literally took my breath away and I finally understood the meaning of a "Stendhal moment".

    ("a moment of sheer awe, of brilliance. often induced by being overwhelmed upon setting sights on a piece of art.")

    After you catch your breath proceed directly to the Vaporetto ticket booths and purchase 3 day passes.




    So this has got me thinking : has anyone had a Stendhal moment in Turkey?

    Strawbs sunny
    avatar
    ruby

    Posts : 1164
    Points : 1651
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2011-07-17
    Age : 103

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  ruby on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:28 am

    Admin wrote:I happened to come across a post written on Trip Advisor, in reply to a person asking for tips/advice for their first trip. Describing the first moment you see Venice, they wrote:






    As you exit the train station, go down the stairs, pause, inhale deeply and take in the incredible vista before you. The first moment you see Venice will never be forgotten. It literally took my breath away and I finally understood the meaning of a "Stendhal moment".

    ("a moment of sheer awe, of brilliance. often induced by being overwhelmed upon setting sights on a piece of art.")

    After you catch your breath proceed directly to the Vaporetto ticket booths and purchase 3 day passes.




    So this has got me thinking : has anyone had a Stendhal moment in Turkey?

    Strawbs sunny

    Yeah funny you should mention this, I had a stendhal moment when I saw a pair of elderly trollops known as Mandy and Ellie plonked on Long Beach swigging Beyaz Serap at 5am watching the sunrise after a night on the beach with the young Turds they had entertained Evil or Very Mad I still have all the posts of the MSN Turkish Toyboys Site to prove it Shocked

    Only thing is my stendhal moment was induced by being overwhelmed by a sudden feeling of nausea and reaching for the sick bucket. Twisted Evil

    Ruby
    avatar
    Guveclover

    Posts : 288
    Points : 368
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2011-06-05

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Guveclover on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:55 am

    There are only really two proper Turkey related "Stendhal moments" that I can think of.

    The first would have been beholding the ECO at the British Consulate in Istanbul who told us that he'd decided to grant Mr Guveclover his settlement visa meaning we could finally leave the country together and the second would have been beholding the aeroplane at Adnan Menderes airport, Izmir the following day that was to whisk us away from there as soon as we boarded it!

    Both are very special Turkey-related moments for me!! lol!
    avatar
    Turkishheartdrop

    Posts : 1065
    Points : 1157
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2011-06-06
    Age : 40
    Location : Huddersfield

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Turkishheartdrop on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:57 pm

    Turkeys not your fave place Guveclover.....LOL.....what made you go there first time?.......
    avatar
    Guveclover

    Posts : 288
    Points : 368
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2011-06-05

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Guveclover on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:07 am

    That's a whole other tale THD - I was literally booked on a holiday to Turkey by my sister's mate, after I'd agreed to go on holiday but had expressed a strong preference for Portugal! I'd recently come out of a very long term relationship so thought I'd better make the effort and show willing so, although I was less than thrilled at the prospect of the destination, I grudgingly agreed to go.

    Up until then I'd only ever been to Turkey once before, in the 1980s on a school educational cruise. My abiding memory of Turkey was being hemmed into a corner at the back of a gift shop at Ephesus with a couple of other schoolgirls by a couple of leering, sweaty middle aged Turks while we were enquiring about the prices of onxy ornaments affraid I think the experience had left me with a rather jaundiced view of Turkey.

    Anyway, off I went for the second time and the rest, as they say, is history! As we've often heard it said, "you can't help who you fall in love with" Very Happy

    Subsequently, I did love Turkey for a time but I soon came to realise that it was only while Mr Guveclover was in it and my well documented extended stay there seemed to put paid to any fondness I had for the place - even with him in it! lol!

    We do still holiday there but a week at a time is generally more than enough for me these days.
    avatar
    ruby

    Posts : 1164
    Points : 1651
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2011-07-17
    Age : 103

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  ruby on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:20 pm

    Hi Judith

    It must have been fate that you met Mr Guveclover on your trip to Turkey, so its a good job that Portugal was 'knocked on the head'.

    I just wish that when I went to school they offered a school educational cruise. A day out to visit some old castle was about the furthest we ever got to. Crying or Very sad

    What was Turkey like in the 1980's before it really become a tourist destination?

    Ruby

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 2722
    Reputation : 695
    Join date : 2011-04-24

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Admin on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:33 pm

    Hi Ruby,

    I went to Turkey in the 1980's! But only for the day while holidaying in Greece, so I only had a weeny glimpse of it... We went to Bodrum and all I can really remember is it was very hot, and incredibly cheap! Amazingly cheap! We had lunch in Bodrum harbour in what was probably one of the best restaurants there, and I just remember we had a 3-course meal with wine etc, and it came to next to nothing. Soooo cheap! Nearly every shop we walked past people wanted us to buy a carpet - so the hassling was already in place.....

    Oh, leering men everywhere!

    I bet it was much nicer back in the 80s.........

    Strawbs

    avatar
    Turkishheartdrop

    Posts : 1065
    Points : 1157
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2011-06-06
    Age : 40
    Location : Huddersfield

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Turkishheartdrop on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm

    That sounds fated Guveclover.........you never wanted to go but you did.........thats like fate to me.......was it love at first sight then.......
    avatar
    hyatum

    Posts : 163
    Points : 219
    Reputation : 42
    Join date : 2011-07-20

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  hyatum on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:52 pm

    I don't think I have ever had a Stendhal moment in Turkey but I clearly remember having one in Kenya.....I was there during the annual migration. We were standing ontop of a mountain at sunrise, the place near to where Karen Blixen's home was and looking down onto the Mara river and Masai Mara Plains. All we could see were hundreds of thousands of wildebeest and zebra moving in a trance-like state towards the river preparing to cross it. Their centuries long journey from one country to the next and back again. The vista was endless. We could see forever, there were no limits to the horizon....it was only our eyes that actually failed us, becauase we could not see 'beyond' any longer... from green to pale green to very pale greens and blues and aquas to mist. Down below, the animals just snaked forward very, very slowly and we could barely distinguish wildebeest from zebra as the herds were so dense. In that moment I realised how much I really loved this continent and all it's wildness and how despite all the flaws, it is deeply ingrained in my soul.
    avatar
    hayleyvemehmet

    Posts : 246
    Points : 318
    Reputation : 18
    Join date : 2011-06-02
    Age : 50

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  hayleyvemehmet on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 am

    Well one of those moments was when i was at the top of bodrum castle and the view was just pure peace ( that day was in mid october )i know its just sea etc but it looked really beautiful that day and just for that one moment it was stunning.where my friend has a house in Gümüşlük there is a little house tucked around a few corners and its empty,so we went investigating and thought if we ever came into money we would buy it and do it up because as you looked out from the top of the house all you could see was the beautiful view out to sea,and below was a garden full of flowers and colours and it was just so lovely it made us both stand still.Oh yeah and of course the best stendhal moment was holding my decree nisi in my hand when i got back lol x


    Last edited by hayleyvemehmet on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 2722
    Reputation : 695
    Join date : 2011-04-24

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Admin on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 am

    hyatum wrote:I don't think I have ever had a Stendhal moment in Turkey but I clearly remember having one in Kenya.....I was there during the annual migration. We were standing ontop of a mountain at sunrise, the place near to where Karen Blixen's home was and looking down onto the Mara river and Masai Mara Plains. All we could see were hundreds of thousands of wildebeest and zebra moving in a trance-like state towards the river preparing to cross it. Their centuries long journey from one country to the next and back again. The vista was endless. We could see forever, there were no limits to the horizon....it was only our eyes that actually failed us, becauase we could not see 'beyond' any longer... from green to pale green to very pale greens and blues and aquas to mist. Down below, the animals just snaked forward very, very slowly and we could barely distinguish wildebeest from zebra as the herds were so dense. In that moment I realised how much I really loved this continent and all it's wildness and how despite all the flaws, it is deeply ingrained in my soul.




    Hi Nicks,

    What you described sounds stunning! You really brought the scene you saw to life - I could almost see it myself. You really need to write a book - you write beautifully.

    Strawbs

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 2722
    Reputation : 695
    Join date : 2011-04-24

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Admin on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:04 am

    hayleyvemehmet wrote:Well one of those moments was when i was at the top of bodrum castle and the view was just pure peace ( that day was in mid october )i know its just sea etc but it looked really beautiful that day and just for that one moment it was stunning.where my friend has a house in Gümüşlük there is a little house tucked around a few corners and its empty,so we went investigating and thought if we ever came into money we would buy it and do it up because as you looked out from the top of the house all you could see was the beautiful view out to sea,and below was a garden full of flowers and colours and it was just so lovely it made us both stand still.Oh yeah and of course the best stendhal moment was holding my decree nisi in my hand when i got back lol x



    Hi Hayley,

    Oh, never say 'it's just sea' - I think the sea can be amazingly beautiful, depending on the time of day/weather etc. I LOVE watching the sea when no-one else is around (especially around sunrise) and seeing the big ball of sun slowly come up and suddenly the sea starts sparkling and glittering...............it's fantastic to watch. Sunset too, of course. But yes, some seascapes are absolutely breathtaking...............

    Strawbs
    avatar
    Turkishheartdrop

    Posts : 1065
    Points : 1157
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2011-06-06
    Age : 40
    Location : Huddersfield

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Turkishheartdrop on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:09 pm

    A stendhal moment for me today will be knowing I can be lazy all day lng and have 3 more days to do it............

    Sponsored content

    Re: A Stendhal Moment in Turkey

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:55 pm