Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

+7
Guveclover
Yohan
Pollypecker
Admin
hayleyvemehmet
hoppit
ruby
11 posters

Strawbs and Ertie - Venice Gondola

ruby
    ruby

Strawbs and Ertie - Venice Gondola Empty Strawbs and Ertie - Venice Gondola

Post  ruby Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:42 am

Welcome home Strawbs and Ertie. As you have previously mentioned the problems with the server, I have posted your beautiful photograph of you and Ertie on the Gondola. You both look so happy, and I love your hat, I have one very similar tongue

Strawbs and Ertie - Venice Gondola Th_dsc11
    hoppit
    hoppit

Strawbs and Ertie - Venice Gondola Empty Re: Strawbs and Ertie - Venice Gondola

Post  hoppit Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:59 am

It looks nice indeed, thats one for my list of to do places. Whats the weather like this time of year? It looks cold somehow. I like hot myself unless I go home to see my family but that is very different to a holiday Neutral
    hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:52 am

How romantic of you two Smile lovely picture and lovely place x
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Oh, thank you for the compliment! Yes, Venice is beautiful - and when you next get the chance make sure you go there - it's a place you'll never forget!

Ruby, I'm glad you like my hat. Very Happy I like the Russian look, and it's in fashion at the moment. The Andy Capp look seems to be in vogue, too (in Italy is does) but I don't suppose you want to borrow Monsieur Strawberry's cap too? I'm sure he wouldn't mind! I love hats, actually - yet when I was at school I HATED having to wear a hat! It's funny how when you become a decrepit old crumbly you change! haha I think you have to be quite tall to carry a hat off. I once saw a picture of a very short stout woman with a wooly beret perched on the side of her head at an angle (she must have put pins in it to keep it perched on the side) and I bet she got lots of stares for sure! Laughing

Strawbs
    ruby
    ruby

Post  ruby Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 am

Oh Strawbs, are you sure Ertie Abi wouldnt mind me wearing his cap, after all, if the cap fits wear it Shocked

Tell him I will speak to him about it next week when I accidentally call him instead of you Embarassed Strawbs, he does have a lovely voice Laughing

Rubes
    Pollypecker
    Pollypecker

Post  Pollypecker Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Aw that looks lovely Strawbs I will go there as well one day when I can drunken Love your picture it looks really romantic & happy lucky things you, is it very dear?

Pol x
    Yohan
    Yohan

Post  Yohan Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm

That looks lovely Strawbs Venice is on my list also it looks ever so romantic. Is it easy to get about and what about the prices and visa? I can plan this now for next year Smile
    Guveclover
    Guveclover

Post  Guveclover Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:36 am

I'm glad you got to have a trip in a gondola Strawbs. It's one of those "must do" things in Venice and all part of the experience. Did you have a Cornetto too? LOL!!

I hope you both had a lovely time there.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi Guveclover and Yohan,

No, I didn't get to eat a Cornetto on the gondola! Laughing And Mr Strawberry didn't serenade me with O Sole Mio, either! I have to say the gondola ride was FANTASTIC - it was even lovelier than I'd imagined. It was sooo comfortable and seemed to glide along like on a cloud of velvet - it's hard to explain. The gondolier took us through lots of the back canals and it was heavenly - I thoroughly recommend it to everyone!

We're actually going again (fell in ove with it there) and next time we're going to take a gondola at sunset and take a bottle of wine with us! It didn't occur to us to do that, but when we discovered you could (after we got back!) we've decided we just have to do it. You can also hire a musician and singer to serenade you, which we'll have on our next one, but the first one we did I was more keen on having the gondolier give us a commentary and tour - although it was so relaxing I could have fallen asleep! I never realised how comfortable gondolas were, and as you glide along it's amazing. I discovered that Venetian blinds originated from gondolas - I never knew that before. Athough the name's a bit of a hint I suppose! Razz ) and they used to have them on gondolas to protect people's privacy - all the people who used to have a gondolier were the very rich and aristocratic - so they even liked their privacy back then!

Yohan, Venice is built on water (there's no cars at all) so you either have to walk or take a boat. Some of the back canals are tiny, which is why you need a gondola, but on the Grand Canal you can pick up a water bus (Vaporetto) or a water taxi - which is like a large speedboat. They are fantastic! That's how we arrived in Venice - after landing at Marco Polo airport we took a water taxi into Venice itself. It was brilliant! If you do decie to go make sure you go by water taxi - there's no better way to arrive! The water taxi is so exciting to ride on (the driver really speeds up!) and you can either sit inside the cabin on long white leather seets, or sit at the back where it's open and enjoy the thrill! I didn't care that my hair went wild - I enjoyed the ride TOO much for that! bounce cheers

When we turned into the Grand Canal (the driver slowed down then) it was just like entering a fairytale. Seeing the most BEAUTIFUL buildings with all their glorious architecture and seeing all the gondolas going along was just incredible. It's a bit hard to put into words (people told me before I went that it's an experience like no other) but you feel almost shocked seeing it! It's just like a magical fairytale scene - except it's for real! We actually stood at the back of the boat as we went down the Grand Canal and was just awestruck.

Oh, another exciting thing about the water taxi is it feels very 'move-star-ish' tongue and decadent - and of course, the views are to die for!

It is expensive, I suppose. Some things are much more expensive than London prices, and they don't really do the typical Italian food you'd expect. They do lots of seafood, risotto, polenta, tiramisu, black pasta (squid ink) etc....You can find pizza, but Naples is the place for pizza, really. Their coffee and gelato (ice cream) are gorgeous, and they do beautiful pastries, too.

Some restaurants are ridiculously expensive (one was 200 euros for a set meal - per person - without wine and extras) but you can find much less expensive than that. You need to research and discover where to go. We went to Harry's Bar (only because we were staying in San Marco) and as it's so famous we felt we should try it. The Bellinis (which were invented there) were very expensive - about 16 Euros each I think - and I wasn't enthralled by the place to be honest. It looks very ordinary from outside, and isn't that much inside, either. So I wouldn't bother going there again - you could easily give that a miss.

We had much nicer Bellinis and Spritz cocktails by the Rialto Bridge, and they were less espensive too. But as I say, nothing is cheap in Venice. I can't remember how much the ice creams were (you pay by the scoop)but I think mine were about 5 or 6 Euros? I'll have to ask Monsieur Strawberry - he'll know. Coffees in San Marco Square are very expensive, but what you have to remember is you're paying for an experience- and it's like no other. cheers

If you do lots of research you can find much less expensive restaurants there away from the major tourist attractions, and the water buses are good value too. A 72 hour ticket to use as often as you like (it also goes to all the little islands including Murano etc) is about 25 Euros each I think - or thereabouts - so they're really good value.

But to be honest, if you really want to enjoy Venice you need the gondola ride, water taxi arrival etc - plus all the delicious seafood, gelato, cocktails etc - and you need to pay to enter some of the attractions, so you do need to spoli yourself on this one👅 But it's worth every single penny! And you'll never ever forget it!

I'll put some more pictures up today! Very Happy

Strawbs
    SozzledSally
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 pm

It sounds brill Strawbs, specially the water taxi sunny I can imagine it must feel like being a movie star in one of them. Me next! Laughing

Sal x
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:21 am

I feel like a movie star, anyway, Sal! Razz

Here's a little Venice fix to keep you going before your first trip there!

http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/7hctim78-453175-venecia/

Don't forget to put your volume up! Very Happy

Strawbs
    Maria
    Maria

Post  Maria Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 am

That looks so romantic Strawbs, is there a size limit to sit in the seats? The seats look on the small side. in other words would I be singing

Im too wobbly for my gondola
    too wobbly for my gondola
    too wobbly
    it huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurts

Maria x

Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 pm

A bungalow wouldnt fit in one looking at those photos..........bet theres not many linzee types there...LOL......
    Pollypecker
    Pollypecker

Post  Pollypecker Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Strawbs is it difficult to get in and out of that gondola? was watching the telly last week about venice and this policeman said they are difficult to get in and out of if your old and stuff, I so fancy going there and will have to do one but dont fancy falling in the canal lol

Pol x
    Pollypecker
    Pollypecker

Post  Pollypecker Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Bumping, thanks Strawbs

Pol x
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Pol,

Sorry I'm late in replying.

No, Gondolas aren't difficult to get in and out of, though they do bob around a bit as you're getting in and out of them - but the Gondolier holds your hand Wink so you certainly shouldn't fall in the canal! I would imagine a doddery old person could have problems stepping into one (especially if it's low tide) and if you've got very short legs or you're very fat you'd have problems.

Actually, I don't think a Gondolier would allow a very fat person onto his Gondola. Gondolas are very expensive and are usually handed down through the family, and they take real pride in them. A very heavy person could, I suppose, unstable the boat, so it's more than likely they'd be refused a ride in one. Besides, the seats aren't particularly big, so someone the size of a bungalow just wouldn't fit in one.........

Monsieur Strawberry and I hired the whole Gondola to ourselves, so obviously had the best seats, but there are four other seats you can sit on, which are really just little wooden stalls about the size of a large dinner plate - so bigger than, say, a size 24 bottom. AHEM! They do have nice fluffy cuushions on top of them, though, so they're possibly quite comfortable, but they have no backs to them........

Whatever, a Gondola ride is something you will never forget. Ever. Everyone should do it at least once! sunny

Pol, you're not old and doddery are you???? Shocked

Strawbs
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 pm

would just one cheek of a size 20 arse fit on the dinner plate size seats?................
    cazzy8
    cazzy8

Post  cazzy8 Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:33 pm

O Strawbs I've only just seen this, miles behind everyone else!
    (baby grandson in hospital - awful - dad in hospital and a litter of pups due any time)

I so want to go to Venice! Now I've got Mr Cazzy hooked on travel I might be in luck! He'll not understand the no roads thing though!
    You look so glam and sophisticated!
    C

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am