Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

Baby abroad,what to take,what to know.

hayleyvemehmet

Baby abroad,what to take,what to know.

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Well girls we are off in may to take little man to visit his grandparents for the first time Smile just wondered anyone with a half turkish child what sun factor cream did you use.When he was born one of the other midwives told me she had a half turkish grandchild and that she didnt need anywhere near as strong suncream as normally needed,is that true? Also what injections did you get? i know i can ask my doctor but just wanted other peoples information.By the time we go he will be 18 months,is that ok for drinking bottled water? as i read some contain more salt than others so wanted your ideas on that too.Can you take your pushchair upto the boarding gate?
    Pollypecker

Re: Baby abroad,what to take,what to know.

Post  Pollypecker on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi Hayley, that midwife was wrong telling you that! Evil or Very Mad even people with black skin can get sunburnt so she is so wrong. Kids need lots of high factor suncream from the sun, the factor just means how long you can stay in the sun before slapping more on and a block is good for little kids as well.
    I think what your midwife meant was half turkish kids have darker skins so dont burn as easy or quickly but they do still burn if they get too much sun. you shud buy a high factor for kids plus tee shirts for the day and some hats. I dont know about the bottled water in turkey being safe for kids but I think it shud be okay, may be somebody else will know that one. You can take your buggy to the plane but they put it away for you then give it back when you get off. have a good time Hayley Smile

Pol x
    ruby

Post  ruby on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:22 am

Hi Hayley

I agree with Poll. My grandchildren always have total sunblock, childrens skin is very delicate and needs extra protection. Nestle pure bottled water is what we used on the little ones, you can get it in most big supermarkets. You do have to be careful with 'spring' water, that contains extra minerals and salt.

Have a great holiday. What part of Turkey are you going?

Ruby
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks girls i will be getting a very high factor/sunblock now Smile ruby we are going to Hatay ( south east ) near to the syrian border.my hubby is actually syrian but born in turkey,i wind him up by saying he is a fake turk Laughing going off subject this is where the fun is because officially arabic is his first language and he would love little man to learn that,but turkish is the national language and he needs to learn that first.If we try to teach him all three it will be so confusing.personally i would love him to learn the arabic as its so hard and the writing too but i know that if we were to live there he would need turkish.Back to subject i do love my old bodrum so we are hoping to get a week there in sept/oct and see our friends sooooo suncream needed then Smile xx

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Hayley,

I absolutely agree with PollyPecker and Ruby - you really need to keep your son protected from the sun! As long as he's got the highest factor suncream on he should be OK. Hats are also a real necessity in all that sun, but you obviously know that anyway.

Anyone with olive skin will have more protection from the sun than, say, a ginger-haired person would do, but everyone needs protecting when they're under the Turkish sun on a boiling hot day.

As Ruby has said, the Nestle bottled water is safe for children, and yes, you can take your buggy to the plane. Phew! Smile

I bet your in-laws are bursting with excitement at seeing their grandchild! cheers You're going to have a wonderful time, I'm sure!

Regarding the Arabic - like you I would prefer my child to learn Arabic over Turkish. It would be so much more valuable to your son when he's older as far as the job market is concerned. Of course, Turkish can come in useful if you're working/living in Turkey or working for a Turkish company in the UK, but other than that Turkish is not spoken anywhere else in the world.

But you never know, your son may end up speaking all three! Smile They do say once you've mastered one language, learning another one is much easier, and children learn so quickly, too!

Strawbs
    ruby

Post  ruby on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Oh Hayley you are so lucky going to Hatay, that is where the delicious dessert Kunufe originates, wow I am so envious as I just love Kunufe. If you havent already tried it, then put it on your 'must to do' list. Ask you husband about Hatay Kunufe, I am always going on about it as it is my absolute favourite dessert.

Thought I would also mention, dont use boiled tap water for your little man, the tap water in Turkey contains a higher concentrate of minerals and although I use it for coffee, I would not recommend it for children as their kidneys cannot cope. Also, I usually go to Icmeler spring and fill a container of water which runs from the mountain, these springs are all over Turkey and considered to be the best water, again, it contains high mineral concentrates, so stick to bottled non spring water.

Hope you all have a great holiday.

Ruby
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Im gonna start calling you kunufe Rubes....LOL.....you sure love it!....you feeling deprived coz you cant get it here.....
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:40 am

Hi rubes im ashamed to say that no i havent tried it Shocked but i will make an effort this time i go and see if its worth an award.I was more interested in the gold the last time i went Smile couldnt believe how many shops in the city there was,and so different from anything i had seen in bodrum.I really wanted this thick gold bangle with boncuks in it but sadly couldnt afford it at the time.Now however i have made sure i can get it :)Im sad to say that i love the boncuk tack they have and last time i was in bodrum hubby treated me to a lovely patio sized tablecloth with them sewn in Embarassed oh well now you know im a tacky boncuk woman Laughing the other thing that was lovely from Hatay was the proper thick turkish delight and this one shop had every type available,made those stupid little boxes you get in the tourist resorts look like shite.Have a feeling we will have extra luggage on way home Smile

Last edited by hayleyvemehmet on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    ruby

Post  ruby on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:24 am

hayleyvemehmet wrote:Hi rubes im ashamed to say that no i havent tried it Shocked but i will make an effort this time i go and see if its worth an award.I was more interested in the gold the last time i went Smile couldnt believe how many shops in the city there was,and so different from anything i had seen in bodrum.I really wanted this thick gold bangle with boncuks in it but sadly couldnt afford it at the time.Now however i have made sure i can get it :)Im sad to say that i love the boncuk tack they have and last time i was in bodrum hubby treated me to a lovely patio sized tablecloth with them sewn in Embarassed oh well now you know im a tacky boncuk woman Laughing the other thing that was lovely from Hatay was the proper thick turkish delight and this one shop had every type available,made those stupid little boxes you get in the tourist resorts look like shite.Have a feeling we will have extra luggage on way home Smile

Hi THD, I know I am a fanatic for kunufe, would rather have that than a round with the vicar Embarassed

Hayley, I know exactly the Turkish Delight you are talking about, my neighbour in Marmaris asked me for a meal one evening last summer and she brought out the real rose Turkish Delight and placed it between two digestive biscuits and just gently squashed them together, they stuck together just like jam. I managed to locate the real Turkish Delight in a huge supermarket in Dalaman town and brought some back with me. It is very moreish.

I hope the price of gold has not increased when you return back to purchase your gold bangle, it sounds gorgeous, you must put up a piccie of it when you return you lucky girl. I also have a boncuk in my lounge in the UK just like Linzee's lol! In Marmaris, I have a guest bedside table with a small boncuk silk type of tablecloth on it. Also a carpet weaved and framed picture in the lounge of Ataturk. Well you have to keep with tradition.

Ruby

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 pm

hayleyvemehmet wrote:Hi rubes im ashamed to say that no i havent tried it Shocked but i will make an effort this time i go and see if its worth an award.I was more interested in the gold the last time i went Smile couldnt believe how many shops in the city there was,and so different from anything i had seen in bodrum.I really wanted this thick gold bangle with boncuks in it but sadly couldnt afford it at the time.Now however i have made sure i can get it :)Im sad to say that i love the boncuk tack they have and last time i was in bodrum hubby treated me to a lovely patio sized tablecloth with them sewn in Embarassed oh well now you know im a tacky boncuk woman Laughing the other thing that was lovely from Hatay was the proper thick turkish delight and this one shop had every type available,made those stupid little boxes you get in the tourist resorts look like shite.Have a feeling we will have extra luggage on way home Smile

Hi Hayley,

Oh, definitely invest in some Turkish gold! You get so much more for your money (I think the lowest carat is 14c) and gold will always increase in value! tongue I treated myself to a gold bracelet in Turkey, which really caught my eye. I'm not one to wear lots and lots of jewellery all at once - I prefer to wear just a few really nice pieces - and this bracelet that caught my eye is a little bit 'blingy' - but I fell in love with it. It's a big bracelet and you possibly could mistake it for costume jewellery due to its size (I'll stick a picture up over the weekend) Anyway, I paid just under £300 for it in about 2006, and when gold started soaring in value I took it into a jewellers to have it weighed etc and to see how much it was worth, and the jeweller told me I could get £2,000 for it! tongue I was VERY chuffed - as you can imagine - so I'd advise anyone to buy as much gold in Turkey as they can. Smile

Hayley, don't apologise for liking boncuks or tack! It's only snobs and people with pretensions who buy things in order to try and impress other people, or don't buy the things they like in case others think it's tacky or naff! Buy what pleases YOU - not others! Sod them!! lol

I've got some boncuks, partly because I like to think they ward off evil (even if they don't! cyclops ) and the ones I've got are very, very pretty. I think they look nice. I've got a beautiful glass one hanging up by the front door and when the sun shines through it looks beautiful.

I haven't tried Turkish Delight from Hatay, but from what you say it sounds delicious! I take it they do all the different flavours and nuts etc? Is Hatay where it originates from? It sounds delicious from your description! tongue

Strawbs
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:24 pm

nowt wrong in boncuks.....some of them are well lovely so wouldnt let what people think put me off....each to their own....
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I will deffo put up a piccie if i get it.knowing my luck they might not have it anymore as it was over three years ago Sad but i am determined to get something similar .Strawbs that shop had all the turkish delight you could want,and one of my favourites is the one with hazelnuts/pistachios in.Also like the one covered in coconut,not a fan of the rose but they had all flavours and colours.They also sold all types of nuts so hubby had this huge bag of mixed salted nuts and very nice they were :)the origin of delight is one of those mysteries that everyone claims to have invented but no one really knows.It is a very big thing for the arabs and they have been making it for years but i wouldnt know if its their invention.I asked hubby and he said he didnt think it originated from Hatay,just seems to have been around forever Smile x
    Adryath

Post  Adryath on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:45 am

I always used the highest factor sun cream on baby when we lived in Turkey. I am very suprised that any health professional would say you don't need so much protection as babies have such delicate skin. Try to keep your baby out of the sun as much as possible too.

You can give bottled water no problem.

hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 am

Hi adryath havent seen you in ages,hope you are all ok.will definately take the high factor cream,just cant believe i took in what she said,although he is my first mixed race baby so you dont really know for sure.Needed to know about the water as little man is on growing up milk ( easier on his stomach than full cows milk ) so will be needing to mix it up.can you use the water straight from the bottle or do you need to boil it first? just out of interest.and did your children have any injections adryath? as when we all went ( before he was born ) we had tetanus boost and the heps.didnt bother with malaria tablets at that time but maybe now as we are going south east we should.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Hayley,

I shouldn't worry too much about Malaria - Turkey isn't a high risk country for that disease (though that isn't to say you couldn't get it - but it's very rare) The only trouble with Malaria tablets is that you have to take them for a few weeks before you go abroad (if my memory serves me right) and they can make some people feel unwell! What a Face

I think as the risk of catching Malaria is quite low in Turkey, I'd just take lots of Autan (or other mosquito repellant creams) and slather that all on before you go out at night.

Some people swear by taking garlic capsules for a few weeks before they go abroad (mossies hate garlic, apparently! Shocked ) and if you eat lots of lemon, that's supposed to repel them, too. I think it's only the female mosquito that bites you, and you can buy a plug-in thing for indoors, that emits a sound to females and sends them fleeing!

I think there's also an Avon product that's supposed to be excellent in preventing mosquito bites.

I'll see if I can find the link for you....

Strawbs

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi Hayley,

Ignore what I said about the Avon product! Mad WHICH magazine says it doesn't work (just Internet rumours)

The best one seems to be Boots.

Here's the link to the best (and worst ones)

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/archive/reviews-ns/insect-repellents/insect-repellents-compared/

Strawbs

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:34 pm

More corrections! silent

According to this:

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/turkey.php

Malaria in Turkey: prophylaxis is recommended for the southeastern part of the country. Peak transmission occurs from May to October. For many years, the drug of choice has been chloroquine, which is inexpensive and generally well-tolerated. The recommended dosage is 500 mg weekly, starting one-to-two weeks before arrival and continuing through the trip and for four weeks after departure. Chloroquine may cause mild adverse reactions, including gastrointestinal disturbance, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, and itching, but severe reactions are uncommon. Other choices include mefloquine (Lariam), atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone)(PDF), doxycycline, and primaquine. Mefloquine is taken once weekly in a dosage of 250 mg, starting one-to-two weeks before arrival and continuing through the trip and for four weeks after departure. Mefloquine may cause mild neuropsychiatric symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, insomnia, and nightmares. Rarely, severe reactions occur, including depression, anxiety, psychosis, hallucinations, and seizures. Mefloquine should not be given to anyone with a history of seizures, psychiatric illness, cardiac conduction disorders, or allergy to quinine or quinidine. Atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone) is a combination pill taken once daily with food starting two days before arrival and continuing through the trip and for seven days after departure. Side-effects, which are typically mild, may include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, or dizziness. Serious adverse reactions are rare. Doxycycline is effective, but may cause an exaggerated sunburn reaction, which limits its usefulness in the tropics. Primaquine may cause hemolytic anemia in those with G6PD deficiency, so a blood test documenting normal G6PD levels must be obtained before starting primaquine. In those with normal G6PD levels, the main side-effect of primaquine is gastrointestinal disturbance, which can be minimized by taking the medication with food.

So they DO recommend you take anti-malaria tablets if going to south east Turkey!

Strawbs
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:03 am

Strawbs that last bit was the one i read about the other day :/ but i will just go and check with the nurse and see whats what.i didnt like taking malaria tablets and to be honest i found it worse in bodrum than hatay for mosquitos so ill see.x
    SozzledSally

Post  SozzledSally on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 am

You can find in south east turkey that the locals know best on how to keep mozzies away as well Smile they dont have the sprayers come round like the resorts do and like you say Hayley they dont have so many mozzies there as they do in the resorts.You would half be unlucky tho to catch malaria! Shocked also remember lots of us girls go out to that part and I bet not everybody takes malaria meds before they go Mad

You will be okay, promise you! Very Happy :

Sal x
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks for all the advice girls,im just looking so forward to going away and having some sun,ill deal with it as it comes Smile x
    Maria

Post  Maria on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Thats the way to go Hayley! You go girl! tongue
    I know that link said the Avon is no good but some peple swear by it but that might be coz they was lucky and never got bitten lol

Maria x
    Guveclover

Post  Guveclover on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:56 am

Hayley the first time we took our son to Turkey he was just over 2 and he didn't have any injections. I did enquire about it before we went but I was told by my health visitor that tourist areas in Turkey are safe (i.e for typhoid and cholera which I'd had years ago for travelling to Turkey) and not on the list for requiring precautionary malaria treatment either.

I only let him drink bottled water while he was there and took my own squash from home too (mainly because he liked what he liked and I knew it wasn't available there). As he was still drinking milk at night, I took some cows milk over from home and froze it when I arrived and then used it as I needed it. I watched what he ate carefully too and he was fine all the time we were there.

Regarding sun protection, I think that anyone with any sense will use a very high protection sun cream in very hot sun, and most especially children. In fact, children should be kept out of it as much as possible. It's a no brainer.
    Adryath

Post  Adryath on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:40 pm

hayleyvemehmet wrote:Hi adryath havent seen you in ages,hope you are all ok.will definately take the high factor cream,just cant believe i took in what she said,although he is my first mixed race baby so you dont really know for sure.Needed to know about the water as little man is on growing up milk ( easier on his stomach than full cows milk ) so will be needing to mix it up.can you use the water straight from the bottle or do you need to boil it first? just out of interest.and did your children have any injections adryath? as when we all went ( before he was born ) we had tetanus boost and the heps.didnt bother with malaria tablets at that time but maybe now as we are going south east we should.

You don't need to boil the water at that age, straight from the bottle is fine. My duaghter first went out at 8 weeks so she just had her normal baby vaccinations out there, they don't give typhoid or anything, just the same as we get here so dind't have anything extra. Don't worry about malaria tablets.

I tried that Avon stuff and normally I don't gte bitten much but with that on I was bitten loads so I chucked it out! Normal insect repellent is better, I used to use Johnson's Off! cream.

Where abouts in the South east are you going?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:17 pm