Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

All Inclusive, B&B or RO

ruby

All Inclusive, B&B or RO

Post  ruby on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:42 am

When I first started holidaying in Turkey I cannot recall any hotel offering All Inclusive, that was something you had when you went to the Caribbean, not Turkey.

Now of course the Turks have caught on how to trap you in their hotel for the duration of their holiday. Yuk, I would hate to be stuck in one place without venturing out to explore the area. Anyone who chooses this type of holiday must be extremely dull to travel 2K miles and sit around the pool all day guzzling cheap Efes or plonk from a plastic cup, eating resurrected meals that had been chicken and rice at lunchtime and reproduced as chicken and pasta at dinner, and without the hygeine standards of being refrigerated. Evil or Very Mad Stay in the UK and go to Butlins.

These Turks are very crafty at making money, there is a hotel on the Datca Road, Marmaris, named The Sun Love - never, ever, ever go there unless you want the above standards, in fact, this hotel is worse, they even search your bags when you return from outside just in case you have bought your own alcohol, this is strictly forbidden. The reason being they water down the beer, give such small portions that you end up ordering 'outside' of the all inclusive range and the meals and booze are very expensive. The only thing that hotel has going for it is the swimming pool, its great, but the staff and the service are extremely poor and the guests are treated as pests.

I can never understand why anyone would go AI in Turkey when eating out is reasonably cheap, you can treat yourself one evening and the next have a kebab and a Kunufe. Now I've started myself off on Kunufe, I want one now affraid I love going out and sampling the different restaurants, it doesnt have to be five star every night. The only time I cook in my house in Marmaris is on a Sunday evening and we ALWAYS have a traditional Sunday roast around 7pm. Its lucky for me too that the local market is open on a Sunday for fresh veg and fruit.

Anyone else with opinions on this topic?

Ruby
    DennyK

Re: All Inclusive, B&B or RO

Post  DennyK on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:15 pm

I agree I would never go IA as I like to eat out in different places but can understand why familys with children use them, with young children who want juice all the time with the heat its make the holiday cheaper for them, and usually familys with children are on holiday for the children and sit around a pool all day enjoying the sun and letting the kids play in and out the pool
    As for the Turks catching on how to make money, I have to disagree. Its the British tour companys who are the greedy ones and making the money. A basic AI that might cost around £600 for two weeks is what you would be charges and only £60 max of that is paid to the hotel for the food bill and around £140 for the room, making a BIG profit of £440 to the tour company,and the reason why the food is very basic and reused.I know of some hotels that are only paid £2 a head for food per day in Marmaris, so the Turks do very well to produce the bland things they do day after day for the money they are recieving.
    Maria

Post  Maria on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I cant see what the hotels make out of it going all incl. Neutral I was told before hotels only got about 3 quid a night from the tour ops for a room but put ip with it coz they made money up on people buying drinks from the bar, so how do they make money if all the food and drink id paid for and so cheap as well? Suspect its shattering to book all in to a hotel you dont know for 2 weeks and if the food and drink is horrible your well stuck and peed off Evil or Very Mad I dont mind half boarding but with lots of kids all in is cheaper with all the ice lollys and fizzy pop they want all day long.I like going to local places to eat but it adds up specially if you get taxies and have a 3 course with drinks and coffee Rolling Eyes some hotels do better food than others so you could be lucky Smile

Maria
    Adryath

Post  Adryath on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 pm

I would never go AI either, the thought of having to stay in the same place to eat all my meals sounds awful. We love going out to find somewhere to eat and we usually find the real Turkish places rather than the tourist ones, much yummier food and a lot cheaper.

To get a decent AI hotel you have to pay a lot of money for it too so it doesn't work out the cheap option. Cheap AI hotels in Turkey are usually pretty dire.

No, a nice apaprtment or a villa suits us Smile
    ruby

Post  ruby on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:07 am

I agree that the Tour Operators rip off the hotel owners and I can see why the staff dish out the same old food day in and day out, no wonder so many people suffer from the turkey trots Shocked So it begs the question that knowing this information beforehand, why one earth would one want to book AI. I also understand that kiddies want ice cream and drinks, but to be honest, I would rather buy ice cream and pop from a market shop than endure being a prisoner in one of these hotels.

I cannot even imagine anyone but a Police Officer searching my bags, but the guests seem to allow the staff at the Sun Love to get away with this Evil or Very Mad I will have to put a mouse trap in my bag when in Turkey next Razz

Again, I would simply hate to lounge my day around a pool full of screaming kids and chavs getting drunken . I have to get out and explore around, there are some lovely little secret gems near to Marmaris and we take a BBQ, go to Kipa and head for a secluded beach away from the crowds.

As for eating out, I love the Marina, but it is very expensive, there are some cheaper eateries in and around Icemeler and the quality is excellent.

Ruby
    Guveclover

Post  Guveclover on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:29 am

The one and only time we've ever been AI (in Kusadasi) it was absolutely dreadful and on the basis of that experience we'd be very sceptical about going AI again.

Mind you, in a really select and luxurious resort elsewhere it might be a totally different experience I suppose so I'll try and keep an open mind. You never know, if we have a substantial lottery win we might just be tempted.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:07 pm

I wouldn't deliberately choose to go AI - I like to venture out and eat in the local restaurants etc. Having said that, if the food in the hotel was really good, then I'd eat there sometimes, too. We are actually spending just one week in an AI in Spain this summer - but that's because I hijacked my daughter's family holiday (though they're going for a fortnight) - and now there's about 20 relatives and friends going! What a Face The hotel is a real family hotel, which is why my daughter chose it, and although it's not my cup of tea a week with the family will be great fun! She has been there before, and the beach is absolutely beautiful - all soft powdery sand and a gently shelving sea which you can walk out in for miles (not literally, of course! Very Happy )

The hotel itself, although very nice, will be jam-packed with children - so I'll have my earphones in when we're sunbathing! We'll go down onto the beach, too - so we will get some relaxation.... Exclamation My daughter has already warned me that the food is standard hotel food, but she said you'll always find something there that you like. They also do snacks all day long, and all the drinks/ice creams are free, of course. It's perfect for children, especially with all the kiddie entertainment and kids' disco - and there's entertainment for the adults, too (barbecues, Flamenco nights etc) My daughter has warned me that the AI wine is dire What a Face but you can buy better wine if you want to - so we'll do that. It's only for a week, anwyay - and it's just so we can have a big family holiday all together - so stuff like the food/drink/entertainment won't matter that much - we'll go out some evenings to the local restaurants, anyway - and it's not our main holiday, so we don't mind a bucket and spade holiday with the kids. It will be lovely in fact.

When Ertie and I went to Antalya we found it hard NOT to find an all-inclusive (these were the hotels along the beach) and the first one we checked into was not very nice at all. The wine was vinegary, the beer was watered down and they had nasty little pizza slices for snacks - which were all tough and rubbery. Eeew! So we decided to leave and found another one that was a million times nicer. The hotel itself was really lovely (including the beach) and the food and drink was really, really excellent! I couldn't get over how good it was, and what a fabulous selection of dishes they had. They had just about everything you could imagine (all on the go at the same time) from outdoor barbecues to proper kebabs to sit down 4 course meals with waiter service - it really was good! The wine was the best I've had in Turkey, too (all included in the price of course) and the beer was in bottles - nothing watered down there! There was a beautiful hamam there, and everything about the hotel was so plush. Fantastic entertainment - only downside was we (or rather, I) were the only Brits there! Shocked All the other guests were either German or Russian - but that didn't really bother me. Although I must admit I do enjoy getting friendly with other guests on holiday...it adds to the holiday.

So, if you want a truly excellent AI in Antalya go the the one we went to:

http://www.kilikyapalace.com/index_alm.html

But I have to say I much prefer going B&B (as long as it's a 4/5 star hotel) and then having the choice of whether to eat in the hotel or to eat out. You have the best of both worlds then! tongue

Talking of star rated hotels abroad, a 5 star in Turkey is not like a 5 star in London - and stars don't necessarily mean luxury, either. Some stars are awarded for things like location, ameneties, food etc. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels through the years, and if I'm only staying for a night or two I'm happy to book into a 2 or 3 star if that's all that's available (one year we stayed in what seemed to be a minus 2 star hotel Shocked in North Cyprus - but that was because we flew over spur of the moment at Bayram - and everything was choc-a-block! But when I'm going on a proper holiday I always book a good hotel, as I think it's a waste of money to book a cheap place that you will either not enjoy - or worse - even hate!

And holidays (especially for couples) are the time you want lovely surroundings, good food/drink and a little bit of luxury and pampering. I could never feel happy paying money to stay in a hotel that makes my home seem like a palace in comparison!

We want to treat ourselves on holiday don't we? tongue

Strawbs
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 pm

I stayed in an ai when i went to yalikavak and have to say i found it really good.some people were moaning about it and some like me were ok.I liked it more for the kids as they could get drinks etc and left me alone ( helped by the fact hubby worked there at the time )the wine and beer were quite nice and the option to buy better was there but for me that would be a waste.We did eat out a few times just for privacy really away from the other staff.I did prefer staying self catering and cooking our own meals etc as its so easy and we could get what we want and when we wanted it.Would say to anyone that ai is good for mums to relax Smile

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:08 pm

I agree, Hayley, all-inclusives are good for families with young children. A family with just two children could probably spend about, what, £40 a day - just on ice creams and drinks for the kids! So you can see the appeal! Plus, of course, these hotels lay on really good entertainment for the kids - so there's no cries of 'I want to do this, I want to do that' all day long.

I'm looking forward to my week in Spain - I love family holidays. Some of my most treasured memories are of when I was a child and we sometimes took family holidays with my grandparents, aunties, uncles and cousins - such happy days....

By the way, slightly off topic, but that picture of yours with the pide makes me soooo hungry! It looks delicious! Did you actually eat that? If you did I am very jealous. It's the best looking pide I've seen geek God I'm hungry!

Strawbs
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Nooo strwabs sadly its just a piccy off google images Smile but having said that i have had pide very much looking like that and it was extremely yummy.Mmmmmm makes you wanna cram one in now lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 pm