Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

Buying a property in Turkey

Yohan

Buying a property in Turkey

Post  Yohan on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Has anyone got a place in Turkey or considering buying one? I've come into an inheritance and am tempted to buy somewhere in Turkey but haven't a clue how to go about it or even where in Turkey to buy.

Any information on the buying process from people would be great for me. Thanks. Smile
    Turkishheartdrop

Re: Buying a property in Turkey

Post  Turkishheartdrop on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Depends how much money you have......go on tell us...you know you want to......
    Maria

Post  Maria on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Theres a lot of problems sometimes buying out there you know. Shocked Be careful!! No

People have lots loads of money on illegal propertys.

Maria
    Fanny

Post  Fanny on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:57 pm

I don't have a property in Turkey but my friend and her husband bought out there in 2006 and have had nothing but headaches. I'm not sure what the full story is but it's been one problem after another so I'd advise you to really do your research and make sure you go through a reputable agent and have a British lawyer acting for you. It's a minefield out there and a lot of people have come unstuck according to my friend. Tread very carefully and take your time. Don't get seduced by the sales patter the agents give you. Where in Turkey are you planning on buying?

Yohan

Post  Yohan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 am

I'm just bumping this up if it's okay and to take a chance to pop by and say hello Smile

I hope everyone's doing well
    Yohan

Post  Yohan on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:38 pm

I hope you won't mind me bumping up again but I notice you responded to Martina so thought I would give it another shot Smile If you don't have any ideas do you know any websites that could be useful in this direction?
    ruby

Post  ruby on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 am

Yohan, it really depends on how much you have to spend on a property this will dictate what type of property you can purchase and which area you wish to buy.

I strongly advise you to instruct an English speaking solicitor and ALWAY use an Emlak (Estate Agent) otherwise you will get every Mehmet, Murat and Hamza telling you they can get you a really cheap property when in actual fact they will pocket half of the purchase price as their commission. You will have to pay the Emlak a commission, but it wont be anywhere as near as the rip of merchants who get wind of your potential house hunting.

Do not part with any money until you have been given clearance by the Military and your background check have taken place, this usually takes about 12 weeks. Do not be fooled into skipping this procedure. A Turk does not have to undergo these checks and will often say 'put the tapu into my name so you dont lose the property, then when your clearance comes through I will transfer the tapu into your name'. At best you are paying two lots of tax having the tapu put firstly into the Turks name, then after putting it into your name. At worst, the Turk refuses to give you the Tapu in your name, it then officially belongs to him/her and you wont have a leg to stand on. BTW, Tapu is 'Deeds to the property'. So the golden rule is, you get an English speaking lawyer - list available from British Consulate in resort, dont part with any money until your clearance has been given the tumbs up and only then via your solicitor's instructions making it clear the Tapu is in your name.

Warning:- Do not put the Tapu into your partner's name either.

Its great having a property in Turkey if you are going to use it on a regular basis. The downside is paying the electric, water, phone etc every via Direct Debit using a Turkish Bank account, maintaining the property which if left empty for long periods, especially during the winter months when it rains heavily can cause water damage, then you have to think about the garden if you have one. White good were very expensive, but I've been told the prices have dropped recently. If you really want to visit Turkey every year or you just want an investment overseas then consider buying, there are some great bargains to be had, but also remember the pros and cons I have outlined above. I am lucky, I have great Turkish neighbours who look after my house and garden, but not everyone is so lucky.

Ruby
    Yohan

Post  Yohan on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 pm

That's some great advise you've given me there Ruby. That's a load to digest, I never knew so much was involved it sounds very complicated and a bit off putting with all the legal things. I would never put a property in my fellas name or nobody else's, that would be crazy so don't worry, that wont be happening. I'm a bit nonplussed about the military check, what's the military got to do with me buying somewhere in Turkey? Another thing is would I have to pay leccy and gas when I'm not there? Thanks for your help Ruby Smile
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Have you gone on to a turkish property site?.......turkish living gives lots of info......where you planning on buying and how much have you got to spend.........
    Maria

Post  Maria on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Turkish living has lots of people trying to sell so you might not get the real truth from them Suspect Rubes is right you really need to watch out for sharks and rats! Twisted Evil

Maria x
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:39 pm

There is some some good advise on there as well.................its not just folk trying to flog homes ya know............yohan could do worse and go on tc and listen to a bunch of brown maams.......LOL........
    ruby

Post  ruby on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:54 am

Hi Yohan

The military checks are compulsary for all foreigners and your background is checked, after all, Turks dont want an undesireable purchasing property in their country.

With regards to electric, yes you have to pay monthly for your electric, at one time it was every two months but in the last couple of years electric has doubled in price and changed from Tedas to Aydem. If you dont pay by the given date, your electric is disconnected without any notice - Turkey is not stupid like the UK, if you dont pay you get chopped off. You would want to keep your electric connected as otherwise if you arrive in the middle of the night or at a weekend how will turn the lights on Question Also it would mean a trip to Aydem (the electric company - not a tourist area Laughing ) and then have to wait for them to come to your property to reconnect the electric.

The gas is bottled gas which is delivered by you calling a company when your gas bottle runs out. I believe only Istanbul has underground gas.

Water would also have to be paid monthly as you would encounter the same problems as per the electric.

All common sense really Smile

Rubes

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:36 am