Turkish Chatter

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Turkish Chatter

Discussion group for all women with Turkish men in their lives

+2
Guveclover
hayleyvemehmet
6 posters

life in the uk test

hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

life in the uk test  Empty life in the uk test

Post  hayleyvemehmet Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:43 am

well girls just wanted to say im proud hubby passed the life in the uk test Smile another thing out of the way.I just couldnt help looking around the waiting room and realising that for once it wasnt full of turks.i think the whole of china was in there :/ and i had to giggle at the dress code.hmmm my hubby was the only one that looked like a typical english/turk holiday maker with his shorts and t shirt and sandals.must say i poked him and said omg you are the only guy without jeans or trousers.soooo it seems it could be my fault for helping him become a little too english or is that the norm?But back to the test i have to say when the children were practising with him even they stumbled on some of the topics.does anyone else think its hard?
    Guveclover
    Guveclover

life in the uk test  Empty Re: life in the uk test

Post  Guveclover Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:08 am

Congratulations to your husband Hayley. Does this mean he can now go for his ILR? If so, I bet it's a weight off your mind.

I can't believe all these tests they have to go for nowadays - and how much it all costs too!! When my husband was going through it all 12 years ago it was all relatively cheap and there were no tests to complete. There were no visa agents to deal with, you could have an interview at the consulate and hear the outcome the same day and you could get the ILR after a year. The British Passport was only about £100 too and there was no daft citizenship ceremony to attend either! Those were the days!!

Anyway, congratulations on another hurdle cleared!
    hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi judith,thankyou for your congratulations. yes this test is towards his ILR and you are right it is a huge weight of our minds.Im so proud of how he practised and revised for ages untill he felt he was ready.I must say i did read the book and make up practice questions for him which helped.But when we booked the test the lady did say what book to get and what paragraphs to read so its a good guide for them.It doesnt take away the fact that they still have to read it properly because they worded some of the questions differently so it meant anyone that tried to cheat would come unstuck.We are due to do ILR next march but just wanted to sort that bit now.I just hope they dont change anything else and make another test of some sort.It has been mentioned that they are going to make it much harder for settlements etc but not sure if that includes ILR.Does anyone have any ideas? Hayley x
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi Hayley,

Congratulations on your husband passing his LITUK test. Smile

Ertie passed his last year, but I didn't go with him. He did tell me afterwards that when he walked into the centre he saw a lot of people waiting to take the test too, and they had all neat folders and books with them which they were studying before they went into the exam room. But like your husband Ertie turned up with nothing - he too was in shorts and trainers - and when he saw all the people studying their books he was worried for a second, thinking he may not have put enough effort into revising. He did read the book, though (chapters 1-6 I seem to remember) and he did a few practice tests on the Internet. Luckily, he's got a good memory - I don't think I would have remembered some of the questions/answers - and some of them I didn't have a clue about! You could make an educated guess on some of the questions, but some of them were impossible to guess and I doubt many British people would have known the answers to many of the questions! I dare say a foreigner with British Citizenship devised the questions! Of course, Ertie now knows more about the UK than I do, and on one or two occasions has corrected me on something!rabbit

Anyway, Hayley, now that your husband's passed that test, your ILR is in the bag. I haven't heard of any other tests they need to do? When Ertie got his ILR it was VERY straightforward - much easier than applying for a visa. We both went along in person, mainly because we live so close to the Home Office. All they were interested in was proof that we lived together; so you need to make sure all documents such as gas/electricity bills, water rates, council tax, telephone bills etc are in joint names, and you also need to take your bank statements (both joint ones and those in separate names) including credit cards etc. Someone told us that besides the bank statements being spread out over 2 years they also like to see the last 6 months statements, and she did actually ask us for those, so make sure you take them too. Any important or official document is good to take, and although we did copy most of them, the woman dealing with our case seemed to copy the ones she wanted herself! Oh, they need to be spread over the two years in quarterly intervals (or as near as) - and I think they verify certain things by checking on their computer and making a couple of phone calls too - although the woman clearly knew we were a genuine couple as we had a bit of squabble - I think because our pile of papers were all messy in a crumpled carrier bag - and it was difficult finding stuff, as we dropped the bag in a puddle and they all went flying - and we were rushing because we're always late - and that's always MY fault isn't it?What a Face

Very quickly, Hayley....back to the LITUK test - I'm just wondering how anyone could cheat at it? Suspect Ertie told me they all did them on a computer in the room where the test took place, and they were multiple choice answers. I also thought that if you read the book thoroughly (chapters 1-6) you should know the answers. I mean, the examiners couldn't make up new questions that hadn't been touched on in the book - that would be unfair. So I can't really see how anyone could cheat (unless they Phoned A Friend - which they can't do of course!) Shocked

Strawbs
    marymac
    marymac

Post  marymac Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:06 pm

Congratulations sounds a nightmare but worth it in the end. Another part done must be a relief for you both.

Have tried this test online as have several of my friends we all failed Rolling Eyes
    You would have to revise as there are so many stupid questions which I have no idea how it proves you are intergrating into life in the UK which is what I thought the whole test was about no??

Mary

Post  Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Many congratulations HayleyveMehmet what a relief and I bet you are both feeling very happy. As long as you apply no sooner than 28 days before the deadline (you said March 2012) for ILR, its in the bag so they say. As other people have said, the changes are being implemented all the time, but I recently heard that the new government are scrapping the Journey to Citizenship as it was a Labour 'invention' and as they are trying to save money by cutting public services, one of their targets is putting the breaks on immigration (makes them look better to the racists in the UK). I personally would apply via the postal system, it is cheaper, OK you wont get the decision the same day but you will save money and as long as you have saved all your evidence, it will just be a formality. Under Article 8 of The Human Rights Act, a parent has the right to a family life and I have never heard of anyone, even if the marriage has broken down during the settlement period being removed by the UKBA. After one year of ILR, your husband can then apply for his Naturalisation as a British Citizenship and then a UK Passport.

Can I just give you a piece of advice, you have a beautiful photo of a baby as your Avatar, I was silly enough to put a photo up of myself with a young child which was then copied WITHOUT my permission and plastered elsewhere. There are so many peodophiles lurking around that I urge you to remove this gorgeous child and replace it with another Avatar.

Ruby

Post  Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:50 pm

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post with regards to Life in the UK Test, there have been many scams and people arrested by impersonating the applicant or using secret microphones to be 'fed' the answers, or corruption taking place in the Test Centre. Of course this is a rare occurance, but it happens.

Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Ruby,

Well they'd come unstuck if they asked me to sit the test for them - cos I'd fail! I'm sure Ertie had to take his passport as proof of ID, but maybe it was different before?

The secret microphones..they'd be attached to a telephone obviously? Ertie's gone out now, but I'm sure he said the examiner sat in the room with them, and they had to leave their mobiles etc outside. You'd have to talk ever so quietly if you sneaked a microphone in, so I think that would be difficult. But nothing's impossible I suppose. I do know someone personally who recorded much of the book they were going to be tested on, onto a walkman, and they hid it under their waistband and had the tiny earpiece hiden in their ear. It was a bit tricky - especially as the exam was at the university - and it was a foolish to do. They were just too lazy to revise (they'd have sailed through it had they not been lazy) but they managed to get through the exam, although at one stage the examiner glanced up when he heard the 'click' of the walkman! What a Face AND when he strolled along he seemed to linger over her for longer than he did the others! She actually finished the test very quickly, despite faffing about with listening to her own voice on the walkman to get the answers, oh, and she also helped out the person sat next to her! Haha! Anyway, she did pass the exam - and he even let her go early as she was just sat there doing nothing after finishing it so quickly - which she was pleased about as she had a stiff neck where she had to keep it slightly tilted to listen to the walkman. Terrible really......

Back to the LITUK test - where Ertie took his test it was in a government building, and I doubt they'd be open to corruption, but I have heard of some strange places where some people take theirs...........

Strawbs
    marymac
    marymac

Post  marymac Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:50 am

Have a go at the practice questions see how you get on.

http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

Mary
    hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:13 am

Hi girls thankyou for all the nice messages its made hubby smile so thats a good thing :)strawbs when i said about the cheating i should have worded it better.I meant to say if you keep practising on those sites you could remember them the way they are worded as we found on quite a few occasions the same questions came up,but in reality they do word them different on the tests so as hubby pointed out you needed to really understand it and of read it all.But there is always someone out there prepared to take that risk of course :/ i have to admit i did fail it a few times and was mortified that i didnt know all.Like you strawbs my hubby has corrected me too so thats great.sadly i must change my avatar due to that risk ruby as it has just happened to a friend of mine.makes you so mad that even that little pleasure is taken away.
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:10 am

I failed No
    hobnob
    hobnob

Post  hobnob Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:05 am

Hi Hayley,

Could you please tell me which book is best as I searched on Amazon and there are a few variations. Also, is it right what someone else said about just focusing on chapters 1-6? We don't need to apply til next June time but it's something I've been thinking about recently. If hubby studies a bit here and there it'll be much less stressful in the long run.

Thanks a lot.
    hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 am

hi hobnob..the only book the test centre told us to get was ...life in the united kingdom a journey to citizenship 2nd edition april 2007... chapters 2-6 only...we bought ours on amazon...... before we phoned the test centre to get advice my hubby bought a book called 2011 edition life in the uk test study guide.he found that really useful and all the practice questions in it and he still swears he learnt more from that book than the one they told us to get.if you want to pm me and see if we live near each other then you are welcome to his book as we dont need it anymore Smile
    hobnob
    hobnob

Post  hobnob Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks Hayley- I've PMed you... Congratulations BTW!!
    Turkishheartdrop
    Turkishheartdrop

Post  Turkishheartdrop Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 pm

How much does that test cost?
    hayleyvemehmet
    hayleyvemehmet

Post  hayleyvemehmet Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:53 pm

hi turkish heart drop .... the test cost £50 exactly the other day so it has gone up Sad but cheaper than an esol course Smile
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Oh, that has gone up significantly. Last year it was only about £35? That's a real hike!

Strawbs

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 pm